Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought this pop-up camper. If I install a tow package on my 2011 v4 AWD Sorento, would I be able to pull this trailer? I've added the url for the camper so whoever responds can see the exact specs of the trailer. Clicking on "specs" gives the weight. Mine is the 801 model. I'm just now quite sure since our Sorento is a v4. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2007 Jayco J/TRAX - Tent Trailer | RVWeb.com

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
well according to the gross weight it's 1795 lbs

it's still well under the 3500 lbs limit for our engine

keep in mind, you still need to subtract any weight from the passengers + cargo

·
Registered
3 Posts
We just bought this pop-up camper. If I install a tow package on my 2011 v4 AWD Sorento, would I be able to pull this trailer? I've added the url for the camper so whoever responds can see the exact specs of the trailer. Clicking on "specs" gives the weight. Mine is the 801 model. I'm just now quite sure since our Sorento is a v4. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

If your Sorento is a 4 cylinder it would actually be an inline 4 which is rated for a max towing capacity of 1650lbs. Which unfortunately means you would be over capacity as far as the gross weight is concerned.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
710 Posts
If you've got the 6-cyl, no problem. If you've got either of the 4-cyl engines, it's too heavy.

Best,

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,422 Posts
You will excedding the towing limits of your Kia. You should NOT be towing something this heavy!

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
hmm... good catch

i didn't noticed he meant 4 cylinder with the "v4" ... LOL i kept thinking version 4

·
Registered
156 Posts

Wow you bought the trailer before checking whether your vehicle can tow it? Hopefully you have another vehicle. Can you return the trailer? What a bummer.:confused:

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
710 Posts
run it you got warrany just dont beat on it........
That's pretty foolish advice right there.

That's like telling someone they can eat bacon 3 times a day because they've got health insurance. LOL

If Kia finds out (or probably even suspects) the OP is towing an oversized load, it's a safe bet they'll void the warranty. On top of that, even if it doesn't break, it's going to be painful pulling such a heavy load with that little horsepower/torque...and dangerous. Don't do it.

Best,

·
Registered
Sorento EX V6 AWD 2016 Jayco X17Z
20 Posts
Your trailer dry weight is 1135lbs. This means with your camping gear and extra options installed you will probably be near 1700lbs which is in line with the trailer GVWR. You will be 50lbs over the sorento max towing spec.

I tow a jayco trailer that is factory weighed at 3093lbs and when it is packed and ready for camping it weighs 3550lbs which is 50lbs above the Sorento V6 max towing rating.
I easily tow this on flat surfaces but I know the limits of the vehicule. No way I would drive this in mountains or for thousands of km's. We do not have Jeep Cherokee's.

Car makers give specifications for towing but ultimately it's all about your own safety. If you decide to keep the trailer, which looks nice by the way, you must change your driving habits when towing. Drive slower, keep a reasonable stopping distance and do not skip any oil changes. Torsion bars and electric brakes are strongly recommended.

You may want to look at the sticker in your front door which gives you the maximum load your Sorento can haul. This includes the weight of the car with its cargo + the weight of the trailer. I would not exceed that rating for safety reasons.
Keep in mind the tongue weight will have the rear of your sorento sag so you will have less adherance to the road on your front wheels. AWD would have been a better option.

·
Registered
14 Kia Sorento (V6 EX AWD), 2013 Nissan Altima SV
293 Posts

You appear to be just over the rated towing capacity for the 4 cyl engine. I assume you have the GDI? I wouldn't want to tow cross country or in the mountains, but I wouldn't worry too much about short trips (<50 miles). Just take it easy...and of course, if anything happens, don't tell the dealer. LOL

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX V6 AWD w/Sunroof, RIDES a 2012 Suzuki GSXR 600
189 Posts
Keep in mind that your insurance company would also probably not cover you if you were involved in an accident while knowingly towing a trailer that is over the max capacity for the vehicle.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX GDI
42 Posts
Personally, and this is just me, I would think it would be fine. Sure be tender with it, but it should be good to go. I believe the brakes are the same on 4 and 6cyl models so it should be good there.

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,692 Posts
towing a trailer that is over the max capacity for the vehicle.
that could be an interesting legal argument ;) Given that the "max capacity" is 2500 KGS in other markets, it's just the US 'rating' that is the issue. (Not that the vehicle spec is exactly the same, I realise that, but "the vehicle" capabilty is much better than you might guess from the US tow ratings.) [and no, I'm not suggesting you break the local law].

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
There is always a "fudge" factor in factory gross towing weights to insure that the vehicle is not overly stressed. (Just like elevator gross weight listings). As long as you keep your revs up when towing in mountains and don't lug the engine you will be fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts