Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I got a set of wheels, shortly after getting set of 4 General Altimax tires, for my 2009 Elantra GLS.
OEM is 15x5.5 with, if I am not mistaken 47 mm offset.
I chose Momo Winter Pro.
They are 15x6.5 - slightly wide for 195/65x15... but still OK.

Wheel Details - Discount Tire

Now, I was suggested to get a set of lug nuts, because OEM ones will not fit into the holes of the rim.
Well, they do fit.
I guess the rule about the lug nuts applies to those "10 hole" rims when the opening is quite small.

Anyway, I checked them and they have the same taper (60 deg). They fit with not problem. Everything seems to be OK. However, I am still told that they will not fit... I am confused as no reasonable explanation is given except that they will not fit into the hole.

Why I do not want to use the new ones? Two things, first this is extra over 40 USD to spend, plus I must carry both sets in the car since the spare must be held by OEM lug nuts... unless it can be held by the aftermarkets... what means the aftermarkets wheels can be held by OEM as well, right?

So, a question here.

Can I use the OEM ones? Same taper, same thread...

Second part is offset.
The rim they ordered is 40 mm offset.
This way they will be on the positive offset comparing to OEM.
However, OEM 15x5.5 being 47 and OEM 16x6.0 being 54 create nothing but negative offset.
All the 25 mm difference between OEM 15 and the Momo will go outside.
OEM 16x6.0 goes inside.

Therefore, should it be negative as the manufacturer did, or at least stay neutral to distribute the whole extra width both sides?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
The nuts might fit, but will the lug wrench fit? You might have to use a socket.

I use an old spark-plug socket (nice and slim) and a torque wrench. The OEM lug wrench is sometimes a bit bulky and rubs the inside of the holes. The holes on alloys are a bit deep to easily start the nuts by hand. The plug socket helps here as well.

I've seen a couple of times where the nuts from the after-market alloy wheels will not successfully tighten on the steel spare.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh sure, I checked. The wrench fits and there is lots of room around it.

It was more about their "shape/size".

I received a call from Matt (DiscountTire) - Thank you again.
As I am OK with the offset - although I wish it was explained to me in more details before the order was completed, I still feel unconvinced regarding the nuts.

I will research it more. Just to know the ultimate answer. Just to have some physical/number backup.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Only other consideration is thread depth in the blind lug nuts. That was the problem with using them for the steel wheel as mentioned; not enough depth to tighten against thinner steel.

BTW, some of the links given by Discount Tire I do not agree with:

1. Tyre size calculator does not give correct revs/mile; doesn't allow for compression due to load (factor 100/97).

2. Sidewall height is misleading; calculation includes that part of tyre which is actually below the rim flange.

3. Recommends tyre rotation at 6000 miles. No need for this if alignment is OK. Fix wear problem rather than spread it.

4. Many will disagree with recommendation to fit a pair of new tyres to the rear rather than the front.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts