Kia Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
How, you stilll need to change the oil every 3K miles. Thats the same usage. Also a good running car will be full from oil change to oil change without using any. Unless you car is burning oil.

Theres only 1 oil that can be used past 3K. Its the mobil stuff that is for 5, 7.5, 12 change intervals... EVERY other oil including royal purple (the absolute best) needs to be changed at 3K. Its actually not the oil per say that has to be changed its the filter... But if you have to remove the filter you gotta replace that oil....
No one will sell me including mobil oils, that you can safely go past 3K miles without the oil breaking down and being less useful that it should be...
Here we go again.... I already stated you shouldn't do anything to void your warranty. I was referring to your opinion on the 3,000 mile interval (severe or not) as shown in your quote above which is really what we've been talking about. You brought up the severe service oil change previously and if you were to go back and re-read my posts I said under these conditions it wouldn't be a bad idea to change at 3,000. You're posts from the very start have supported never going above 3,000 miles period when the manual, "in black and white", says under normal conditions 7,500. You say you can't argue with the manufacturer or the manual but that's all you've been doing from the start.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
No, I do not know the normal schedual. I don't use it. I change every 3k. Manual states that for severe right?

If it says 7500 for normal, change it then, but honestly, unless your 90 years old, drive 5 miles a week, you most likely fall under severe from what I have been told. There is not perfect condition in this world, its hot, its cold, high elevation, stop and go city driving, thats all severe. Dustly desert, hilly driving, mountain driving, ect. Where is normal really? Driving like an old lady is considered normal to the car maker. No beating or mashing the pedal. Straight to the post office to the grocery store and maybe a doctors checkup twice a month. Normal.

Dont take the comments here or their to heart. Its a debate, someones opinion vs. the others. Its normal. Don't get worked up.

·
Registered
74 Posts
No, I do not know the normal schedual. I don't use it. I change every 3k. Manual states that for severe right?

If it says 7500 for normal, change it then, but honestly, unless your 90 years old, drive 5 miles a week, you most likely fall under severe from what I have been told. There is not perfect condition in this world, its hot, its cold, high elevation, stop and go city driving, thats all severe. Dustly desert, hilly driving, mountain driving, ect. Where is normal really? Driving like an old lady is considered normal to the car maker. No beating or mashing the pedal. Straight to the post office to the grocery store and maybe a doctors checkup twice a month. Normal.

Dont take the comments here or their to heart. Its a debate, someones opinion vs. the others. Its normal. Don't get worked up.
Yes, 3,000 for severe service. Normal is 7,500 or 12 months whichever comes first. I'm not taking this thread to heart. It just feels like I'm debating with a politician. One post you say 3,000 for all oils except Mobil 1. Next, you claim to only follow the black and white of the manual which you obviously haven't even read since you're not familiar with the normal service interval. Now, you say ok go 7,500 under normal conditions. Of course normal doesn't exist in your world because if it did that would mean that the 3,000 mile interval has changed and this debate is a moot point. Truth is there are many places and conditions that qualify as normal and that's why its printed in black and white. I don't know where you got your training/advice but if you paid I'd demand your money back. The 90 year old lady's driving habits are very hard on the oil and engine and are far from a normal condition. Short-trip driving is especially hard on oil because the engine never warms up enough to boil off the moisture that accumulates inside the crankcase. The moisture comes from combustion gases that blow by the piston rings. Most of these gases are removed by the vehicle’s PCV system. But in a cold engine, much of the moisture condenses and ends up in the oil. Water builds up in the oil because the engine hasn't got hot enough to burn it off. Water is a very bad lubricant, hopefully needless to say. Under these conditions more frequent oil changes are necessary. I don't know what your driving conditions are like but I know no matter how many facts are presented to you that you would change your oil every 100 miles if it made you feel better. I really don't care. I'm trying to present accurate information to anyone following this thread so they can make an informed decision.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
No I said you change it by the manual, this whole time. Did not change, yes I stress 3k miles, its the norm. Isn't it? WHat does that sticker say that every oil change place, places on the top left of your windsheild say. Most likey, 3k miles, or 3 months.

Change it when you want, BUT I do bet, if you get a motor failure your dealer most lekely will not warranty it, if your not adhearing to their guidlines.

Like I stated, do waht your manual says BUT EVEN BETTER, talk with your service manager and get his opinion on where you stand. Severe or normal. You will have ot tell him how you drive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My friends 2008 has 135,000 miles on it. He changes the oil every 5,000 miles and it runs perfect still. He just took it to the dealer for a check up and they said it was perfect
But I do think it is how hard you drive the car too and keeping up with maintenance

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
My friends 2008 has 135,000 miles on it. He changes the oil every 5,000 miles and it runs perfect still. He just took it to the dealer for a check up and they said it was perfect
But I do think it is how hard you drive the car too and keeping up with maintenance
100% agree. That is why there are 2 schedules. One for light use and one for severe. Its how and where you are driving on how you determine what time and mileage you should change it at..

From what some are saying here is no matter how and where you drive, you change it at 7500 or whatever they are saying.

Not the case as I see or manual states.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
100% agree. That is why there are 2 schedules. One for light use and one for severe. Its how and where you are driving on how you determine what time and mileage you should change it at..

From what some are saying here is no matter how and where you drive, you change it at 7500 or whatever they are saying.

Not the case as I see or manual states.

I have had a few Kias (in sig), clocked over 4-5 HUNDRED THOUSAND miles on them combined, done what I done 3K changes, not once with all of them did I ever have an oil issue.

If I would have done them all at 7500, could I have not had an issue either, maybe, but maybe not, I was safe with what I thought had to be done and was right I guess, not one issue. I drove them real hard, the first one even was used at the drag strip running quarter mile races quite a few times back in 99-2000. Not many Kias are put through what that one did.

·
Registered
74 Posts
No I said you change it by the manual, this whole time. Did not change, yes I stress 3k miles, its the norm. Isn't it? WHat does that sticker say that every oil change place, places on the top left of your windsheild say. Most likey, 3k miles, or 3 months.

Change it when you want, BUT I do bet, if you get a motor failure your dealer most lekely will not warranty it, if your not adhearing to their guidlines.

Like I stated, do waht your manual says BUT EVEN BETTER, talk with your service manager and get his opinion on where you stand. Severe or normal. You will have ot tell him how you drive.
From some of the statements you have made it appears that you either know very little about engines or you have been mis-informed. Your statement regarding the driving habits of a 90 year old lady for example. I've been through tech school, have become master ase certified, and been in this field for a long time. I don't need to consult a service manager. No, 3,000 miles is not the "norm". Its clearly stated in the manual that you have already said you haven't read. Norm is 7,200. We could argue about driving conditions all day. Regarding the great and wise oil change sticker- A reputable shop will adjust the service mileage for the oil they put in. Example: synthetics, which is what this thread is really about. 2 reasons why that sticker may say 3,000 miles- 1. Its the worst case scenario for conventional oils. 2. They want you to come back twice as often. That's how they make money. Anyone who would claim that conventional motor oils have not changed over the years is seriously mis-guided at best. All oils, conventional or synthetic, have made significant improvements over the years. Engines have too. My brother has an 06 spectra 5 with 228,000 miles on it. He runs a synthetic blend and changes his oil every 8,000 miles. He is probably the hardest on a vehicle as anyone i have ever seen. It burns no oil at all, seriously, and the engine still sounds very tight with no abnormal noises. No one is going to convince you of anything that you refuse to believe and I honestly don't care. I have been well educated and know the facts. You can stick to your beliefs, and I will stick with the facts. Remember your statement saying that synthetic oils couldn't exceed 3,000 miles, except "maybe" royal purple or mobile 1? You're way off base.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
If you wanna state manual all day, it has no mention of synthetics.

You manual states 7200, mine states 7500 I believe Ill have to double check.

What car you driver? If its a sportage like myself, what page are you reading about synthetic oil being even mentioned in the manual? Ill be glad to verify if you let me know what page it is on.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you wanna state manual all day, it has no mention of synthetics.

You manual states 7200, mine states 7500 I believe Ill have to double check.

What car you driver? If its a sportage like myself, what page are you reading about synthetic oil being even mentioned in the manual? Ill be glad to verify if you let me know what page it is on.
I never said the manual says anything about synthetics. It doesn't. My point was synthetics is what this thread was originally about and that they don't carry the same service interval as conventional. I drive an 08 Rio. 3,000 used to be the flat servive interval regardless on how you drive. Now you have manuals stating intervals in excess of 7,000 and oil life monitoring systems far exceeding that. All on conventional oils. I personally do not run synthetics without using a high quality, high capacity filter. A good synthetic far exceeds conventional oils in both performance and longevity. Imagine what the manual would say if it did give an interval for synthetics.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Agree with you if dealer says it. However still would use synthetic and have them to the oil filter change with a KIA filter if you have the V6 with it's unusual filter design. Also insure that all changes are logged onto the KIA customer site and in your manual. As far as performance is concerned. Synthetic oils will slightly lower friction which is one of the reasons most auto companies are now using it- fractionally better mileage/performance (see new Corvette requirements for example). If you want to really see what difference it makes and you have a boat, take your best run with wind/tide, etc. logged then immediately change the oil and filter. Repeat. You will find that the starter will rotate faster and you can actually measure/see the differences in wide open throttle RPMs up to rev limiter if you have one. Done this many times with friends' V8/V6 racing boats. Made them believers! Plus, if oil pressure pump starts to fail you'll have a slightly better chance to stop the engine before the bearings seize because of oil break down/lack of pressure and it's resultant heat/friction. If you want to know what the best filters are, there is a site that tested all the more known filters and posted their results. Amazing how many filter names are make by the same company.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Ok I am not saying synthetics are not good or don't last longer. I am stating at the point of view of the manual/dealer. Now most wouldn't say a word, but I am sure there are a few out there that may indeed have a say about a 7-10k mile oil change interval.

Check with your dealer dont assume just because this sythetics back label says "change every 10K miles" you simply can do that. It "COULD" void your warranty.

And lets say you are changing it every 10K miles, and like myself have become busy at times in life and go past your oil change a few K miles lke I am sure we all have, now what, you just went 12-15k miles without an oil change?

Just sayin!

Also to the short trip comment, you can drive a car its whole life with 10-15 mile trips and still last. My rx7 has, it still runs too. Its 26 years old and has barely ever seen many big drives.
It drives 5-10 miles a week.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ok I am not saying synthetics are not good or don't last longer. I am stating at the point of view of the manual/dealer. Now most wouldn't say a word, but I am sure there are a few out there that may indeed have a say about a 7-10k mile oil change interval.

Check with your dealer dont assume just because this sythetics back label says "change every 10K miles" you simply can do that. It "COULD" void your warranty.

And lets say you are changing it every 10K miles, and like myself have become busy at times in life and go past your oil change a few K miles lke I am sure we all have, now what, you just went 12-15k miles without an oil change?

Just sayin!

Also to the short trip comment, you can drive a car its whole life with 10-15 mile trips and still last. My rx7 has, it still runs too. Its 26 years old and has barely ever seen many big drives.
It drives 5-10 miles a week.
I already said you shouldn't do anything to void your warranty. I'm commenting on what oils are really capable of both conventional and synthetic. As far as getting busy and not changing your oil goes, It doesn't matter if you're at a 3,000 or 10,000 mile service interval. Getting busy and ignoring your maintenance can lead to trouble so I'm not sure where your logic is with that statement. I never said making only short trips will destroy/damage your vehicle. What I said is that they need more frequent oil changes due to the moisture build up in the oil that is not getting burned off. You need to read posts more carefully. Your previous statement that it is somehow easier on the car and oil with the 90 year old lady at the wheel is completely inaccurate. Also, my Rio has 106,000 miles on it, therefore it is not under any warranty. I would never pay Kia the kind of money they charge to do the maintenance required to maintain their warranty. It's nearly $500 just for a timing belt change. With the money I save doing everything myself I could by a new engine if I ever need it and still have cash for Vegas. I understand that not everyone can or would want to do their own maintenance but I can and I wont throw money away at a Kia dealership. Truth is that if you pay Kia to do everything your paying a lot of money to cover the chance that something major "might" happen before the 100,000 mile cap and that if it does they won't come up with some excuse to not cover it. I'll save that cash for repairs inside and outside the warranty period. Again, I know this is not an option for many people and many people like the security blanket of the warranty. People have to do what suits them best.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If your older car is close to 100K and you've never used synthetic oil don't start now. The following is a typical example of why not to switch on a car over 100K miles.

The Chrysler 2.7L, 3.2, and 3.5 V6 probably should've always used synthetic oil with changes every 3-5k because of this particular engine design. If you have never used a synthetic oil on an older Chrysler 2.7L, 3.2 or 3.5 V6 (100K+) and someone tells you to switch to an expensive synthetic the rear main seal will most likely start to leak. If it is already leaking and your mechanic tells you to switch to an expensive synthetic the leak will become even more noticeable.

Some engines because of design flaws need oil/filter changed every 3,000 miles.

·
Registered
195 Posts
wow 8 pages of oil debates .i prefer the k.i.s.s method .

keep it stupid simple

run whatever has been run in the engine when you bought it . if you buy a used car and it has 100k on it and it has regular oil in it .dont switch now ! your asking for trouble .

if you buy a new car and wanna run synthetic then by all means do it .but then stick with it .
see how simple that is

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow, this is a long thread, I guess the debate of regular oil vs synthetic will never end. I’m no expert ( built a few motors and owned a few drag cars) but I think any high grade oil will do the job and its cheaper to change oil then an engine. These days most people don’t keep a car much over 100 k anyway.
On to my problem ,my Mom has a 2015 Sedona v6, she has done regular oil changes through its life. I was changing the oil in my Scion several months ago ( I use synthetic oil) and decided to change moms as well . I used 5-30 synthetic in both, a few weeks later Moms oil light came on, the oil was a quart and a half low. After talking with her about it she said the car has been using oil for years but not that much. I checked for leaks and found no signs under the car or on the ground, also checked the plugs (prob 50k old) no sign of any burning. I changed to regular 10-40 it better but still using oil. Any suggestions about where it’s going ?
P.S. I heard there was a recall on the 04’s but the dealer says not the 05”s he also said “ expected normal oil use in a KIA is a up to a quart or so a month” (shocking statement) also would not honer warranty w/o documented change records. I haven’t had a car use oil like that since the 80’s in my 64 Vette. In fact I haven’t had to add oil to any car for over 20 years.
Thanks in advance for any feed back

·
Registered
66 Posts
On to my problem ,my Mom has a 2015 Sedona v6, she has done regular oil changes through its life. I was changing the oil in my Scion several months ago ( I use synthetic oil) and decided to change moms as well . I used 5-30 synthetic in both, a few weeks later Moms oil light came on, the oil was a quart and a half low. After talking with her about it she said the car has been using oil for years but not that much. I checked for leaks and found no signs under the car or on the ground, also checked the plugs (prob 50k old) no sign of any burning. I changed to regular 10-40 it better but still using oil. Any suggestions about where it’s going ?
The exacerbated oil usage is the result of switching from regular old fashion quality motor oil changes over the years (on a higher mileage engine) to suddenly changing to synthetic oil as john doe posted thinking that will reduce oil consumption ... just the opposite.

Yes, one would think a more expensive synthetic oil would be good for the motor (Yes & No). A quality synthetic oil cleans the engine parts which you'd think would be good. However, a good cleaning on an older high mileage engine that has always had old fashion quality motor oil changes will exacerbate any previous oil usage. It's the same with using a motor flush treatment on a higher mileage engine that you'd think the motor would appreciate. Instead the motor's appetite for oil increases.

There's only one place the oil can go when there is no sign of oil leakage around the engine itself. Just because you don't see any noticeable blue smoke coming from the exhaust doesn't mean more oil is not getting past the valve seals and piston's oil rings now than previously. Instead of an expensive 5W Synthetic you would've been better off using a conventional quality 20W-50W motor oil and quality oil filter with regular changes every 3,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
The exacerbated oil usage is the result of switching from regular old fashion quality motor oil changes over the years (on a higher mileage engine) to suddenly changing to synthetic oil as john doe posted thinking that will reduce oil consumption ... just the opposite.
I am the exception to this then. I have an 03 S10 that I got with 83,000 miles on it. I switched to 5-30 SuperTech and never looked back. It now has 123,000 miles on it and does not use any or leak oil. Your statement is also part of the age old debate because there are many others that switched and did not receive the wrath of leaks. Some synthetics actually swell seals. It is not set in stone anywhere that leaks or excess usage will occur.
Jmho

·
Registered
5 Posts
As I mentioned I did go back to conventional oil (10 -40) my first inclination was to go to the 20-50 as you suggest. However when I mentioned changing to 20-50 to a Tech who works at the dealership, he said “ABSOLUTELY WAY TO HEAVY”. He also said the top end would suffer. I’m sure this is due to the purpose for dual weight oil; the light component is for the top end the heavy for the bottom. I also found it curious that the plugs showed no sign of oil burning, perhaps if I put it on a lift I could find a leak.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My reference to using conventional like GTX 20W-50W was with respect to your post that the car "has been using oil for years" with "no signs of leaks under the car or on the ground." My rationale was that it's a waste of money on an older vehicle (100K+) to now start using a more expensive synthetic for the first time such as 10W-40 or a 20W-50 synthetic.

After talking with her about it she said the car has been using oil for years but not that much. I checked for leaks and found no signs under the car or on the ground, also checked the plugs (prob 50k old) no sign of any burning. I changed to regular 10-40 it better but still using oil.
The reply by the Dealership Tech when you mentioned changing to 20W-50 with him saying: “ABSOLUTELY WAY TO HEAVY ... the top end would suffer" is typically right on. According to most any Dealership a 20W-50 serves no useful purpose as far as their concerned.

So, this is a question for those more knowledgeable garage logic mechanics: Under what conditions would a synthetic 15W-40 or 20W-50 synthetic blend be a more practical advantage in a high mileage (100k+) gas V6 or V8 over that of a less expensive conventional GTX 20W-50 ?

61 - 80 of 81 Posts