Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sorento
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am not sure if anyone can help me here, but does anyone know if I can use 235/60R18 tires on a 2007 Kia Sorrento? I currently have P245/65R17's on them.

I am asking because I spent over $600 on 4 tires about 2 years and 3 months ago and they lasted about 40k miles. I have been shopping for tires and my friend mentioned that his neighbor had these 18" tires in his basement not being used. I would like to buy them from him if I can get them on my truck.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
I found a good tire info calculator when researching tire sizes for my Sedona.
-
The tires you are speaking of will create a -1.5% difference. At 60 MPH actual, your speedometer would read 59 MPH. At 100 MPH, your speedometer would read 98.5 MPH.
-
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
The 18" tyres are 1.5% smaller overall diameter, so will spin faster at a given speed. That will increase the indication on the speedo. That will be of no real concern, but main problem is getting a set of wheels to match. Check off-set of 17" compared to 18". Hard to say if you would make any real saving after buying 4 wheels.

BTW, calculation of nominal tyre size is so easy that you may as well just work it out for yourself.

e.g. 245/65-17

17 x 25.4 = 431.8 mm (wheel diameter)
2 x 245 x 0.65 = 318.5 mm (twice tyre height)

Total = 431.8 + 318.5 = 750.3 mm

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Yes, you're right. replace the earlier numbers with 61 and 101.5 MPH, respectively.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sorento
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
18"

Thanks to you all for your help. I was hoping that they would fit because he would have sold them to me real cheap. I guess I'll have to splurge on the big bucks for 4 new 17's.

P.S. I joined this site yesterday and I am bookmarking it. You've all responded very quickly to my question. My Kia is getting up there in mileage and I might have to come back here when other problems arise. Hopefully, not too soon.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Thanks to you all for your help. I was hoping that they would fit because he would have sold them to me real cheap. I guess I'll have to splurge on the big bucks for 4 new 17's.

Thanks again.
40k miles wasn't too bad for your original tyres; you might be able to do better with different brands. Let the suggestions begin!

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sorento
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
18"

I just called the tire department in the Kia dealer that sold me the truck and I asked him the same question. He said that he wouldn't know if the 18's would fit and told me to measure the circumference of the tire to see if it would fit the wheel. That was his best answer.

I would think that he would know this answer like you guys did, but no. I do plan on borrowing one 18" tire and bring it to a place to mount it on my spare wheel to see if it fits.

Do you think that this is a good idea? Any problems with doing it this way?

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,903 Posts
I do plan on borrowing one 18" tire and bring it to a place to mount it on my spare wheel to see if it fits.
Don't waste your time. The 17" and 18" sizes refer to the diameter of the wheel itself (ie the inner dimension of the Tire). There is no way an 18" tire will go on a 17" wheel properly AND manage to seal air inside :eek:

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Don't waste your time. The 17" and 18" sizes refer to the diameter of the wheel itself (i.e. the inner dimension of the Tire). There is no way an 18" tire will go on a 17" wheel properly AND manage to seal air inside
Er... Yes. Note that a couple of replies (including mine) did include the advice that you would need to buy 4 new 18" wheels for the project to be successful. The other answers you had (including from the dealer) would have been addressing the issue of overall size and off-set of the alternate wheels + tyres. i.e. checking if the 18" wheels and tyres are clear of the suspension, brakes and body.

It seems that if you had to buy new wheels just to use 4 tyres of doubtful quality, the economics don't add up.

There are big differences in tread life with various brands. Nexen original equipment on our Cerato will last an estimated 40,000 km, while Michelin on our other car (same size tyre) look to be heading for 70,000 km. Not much difference in price.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts