Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want a basic key --no FOB-- as a back up for days like today when I can't find my keys and I'm running late (LOL).

Does the 2012 Sedona EX key have a chip in it or can I just go to any hardware store and have them cut a key for me?

Thank you!!

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,145 Posts
*Answers are based on US-Spec Sedona information*
If you have the Luxury package, then yes, the key has a chip in it - you MUST get spare keys from the dealer. If you do not have the luxury package, then you can get keys made elsewhere. Kia does not recommend that, but there are several people on the forum who have had it done. Oh, and if you are unsure about the luxury package -if you have leather seats, you have the luxury package. Didn't you get two sets of keys when you bought the vehicle?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply...I do have the luxury package so off to the dealer I go ;) My husband has the other one we got when we bought the car -- thankfully I was able to use his, but I would like a spare to have just in case too!

·
Registered
263 Posts
*Answers are based on US-Spec Sedona information*
If you have the Luxury package, then yes, the key has a chip in it - you MUST get spare keys from the dealer. If you do not have the luxury package, then you can get keys made elsewhere. Kia does not recommend that, but there are several people on the forum who have had it done. Oh, and if you are unsure about the luxury package -if you have leather seats, you have the luxury package. Didn't you get two sets of keys when you bought the vehicle?
Just for those that do get the regular key.

Key code by code from the dealer is around $13.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts