Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sportage SX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm the soon-to-be proud owner of a 2013 SX! We're going to pick it up on Friday. I'm very pleased with the deal I got for the car ($100 over invoice), but I believe the price they're quoting me for an extended warranty is very expensive at $2100.

I was wondering if it's possible to buy just a warranty from another dealer? And is it possible to buy the warranty after you buy the car? I'm only interested in a true Kia extended warranty, not an aftermarket.

To be honest, I'm still not completely sold on even buying it as the default Kia warranty is so good, but I can see investing another $1000-1250 for piece of mind for 10 years. But not $2100.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,772 Posts
Yes.........

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,422 Posts
I do not see many problems with the Sportage at all. I would not buy one myself.

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,515 Posts
extended warranties of any type are generally not worth the price you pay. Consumer Reports have done tests on this and come to this conclusion. You would be further ahead to invest that amount and let it earn money for you and then after the 5 year full warranty expires and you need work, use it then, but then the major cost like the powertrain is still covered for another 5 years.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sportage SX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies! Turns out that the extended warranty offered by the dealer is not from Kia, but is "Kia-approved". Not sure what that means.

I've decided I'm not going to get it. The credit union I'm financing thru, Penfed, offers a 5 year/100k miles extended warranty that starts from when you buy it. So you can buy it just before the regular warranty expires and get 5 more years.

I figure if I have no issues during the regular warranty, I won't worry about it. If I have many issues, I'll get rid of it. :) So why bother with an extended?

Instead I'm going to spend the money on aftermarket addons. ;)

·
Registered
Kia Soul, toyota pick up
7 Posts
extended warranties of any type are generally not worth the price you pay. Consumer Reports have done tests on this and come to this conclusion. You would be further ahead to invest that amount and let it earn money for you and then after the 5 year full warranty expires and you need work, use it then, but then the major cost like the powertrain is still covered for another 5 years.
I agree. You should be fine with the factory warranty unless you are driving a ton of miles a year

·
Registered
2011 TechnoOrange Sx, 2008 Toyota Solara SLE, 1946 Chevrolet Fleetline Aerosedan
66 Posts
From what I have seen over the years, people who buy extended warranties believe (wrongly) that the extended warranty is being extended by the dealer. In fact, the warranty is through a 3rd party company and the dealer washs his hands and is not legally responsible at the ended of the factory warranty. It then becones a nightmare to enforce the warranty with, usually, an out of state company which has many exclusions in the warranty policy. Then you have to sue and find out how to serve the company out of state, etc. That is why I wouldn't recommend such warranties. I also agree with the other posters regarding the need for it in the first place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts