Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
V50, Passat, Eurovan
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read reviews that describe the 3rd row as claustrophobic, even with the sunroof because there's little line of sight out of the side windows for 3rd row passengers (i.e. kids). Would you new owners agree, or do you think its fine? My next car is likely the Sorento or the new 6-passenger Santa Fe LWB, which is essentially the same car, but with a bit more length which allows for better visibility in the back (or so the pictures seem). What do think of sitting out back - OK?

Kipa

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX+ 7 seater
559 Posts
Suggest this car is marginal for regular 3rd row use. Even if kids (small) can sit comfortably there, there is next to no room left behind the 3rd row seat for storage. The 3rd row windows are on the small side and folks in 3rd row are behind where panorama roof ends. So can see where claustrophobic might be used. The 2nd row seats can be tight for adult size folks unless all the way back which in turn intrudes on space for 3rd row.
The LWB Sante Fe provides an extra 4 inches from what I hear.
I would suggest the 3rd row in the Sorento is only good for relatively incidental usage, "small people", and where there is no concurrent requirement for a lot of storage.
Personally I elected to go with the 5 seater in part as gain extra under the floor storage space.

·
Registered
V50, Passat, Eurovan
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dharp. I do understand the compromises of a 3-row vehicle of this size. Was just looking for some first hand experience of people who have the 3rd row as to whether it seems claustrophobic because of the lack of visibility.

Kipa

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX+ 7 seater
559 Posts
Sorry, no 1st hand experience but suggest it is going to depend:
1. Some kids more claustrophic than others
2. Should be less so if have panorama roof and have sunshade open
3. If kids have a tendency for car sickness, may increase due to reduced side view.

When was shopping for car replacement, noticed most SUV/CUV types had small 3rd windows; my perspective was more one of the larger the last piller, the greater the blindspot potential.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento SX
7 Posts
I have a 2013 SX 7 passenger - we have a 05 Grand Caravan as the people mover so was originally looking at the 5 passenger. My oldest daughter (15) came shopping with me and after looking at both the 5 and 7 passenger we opted for the extra seating (in the event we did have company visiting), sometimes it can be a real pain having all 3 kids sitting side by side (second daughter is 12 an son is 10).

Both girls have sat in the rear seat together and have not complained about the visibility (they seemed more enthusiastic as they were away from their brother!!!) - but once my son sat there by himself and I could hardly see him in the mirror - he did have a hard time seeing anything out the side windows.

I am 6'2" tall and have tested the rear seats - yes they are a bit small and my knees were up to my nose, but I was sitting in "relative comfort".

Before we bought the Sorrento our dealer let us use if for a weekend so we were able to test it a few times before we signed the deal.

I would really call the 3rd row a "just in case" option but if you intend on using the seats all the time it may require some additional consideration and testing before you make the deal.

One other thing to consider with the 3rd row in the 2014's is the fact that Kia removed the "fold forward seat" - to gain access to the 3rd row in the 2014's you have to climb over the second row passenger seat - in the 2013 the seat back folds down and the bottom also folds forward giving you easier access to the seat - seemed a bit strange to me, but was one of the reasons we pick the 2013 rather than a 2014 (I had 3 salesman trying to fold the seat when I asked how to access the 3rd row before they realized the seat function had been changed).

Hope this helps!!! :D

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento LX 2.4L
8 Posts
Little bit of necro here, but...3rd row seating isn't too bad....
once you're back there. I wouldn't recommend putting your older passengers back there...it's best for nimble kids as it is a bit of a leg lift & climb to get in...
We got the 3rd row for the kids, so we don't worry too much....let 'em pile in!

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SX- mine, 2012 Hyundai Azera- Mom's
79 Posts
I have a 2013 SX 7 passenger - we have a 05 Grand Caravan as the people mover so was originally looking at the 5 passenger. My oldest daughter (15) came shopping with me and after looking at both the 5 and 7 passenger we opted for the extra seating (in the event we did have company visiting), sometimes it can be a real pain having all 3 kids sitting side by side (second daughter is 12 an son is 10).

Both girls have sat in the rear seat together and have not complained about the visibility (they seemed more enthusiastic as they were away from their brother!!!) - but once my son sat there by himself and I could hardly see him in the mirror - he did have a hard time seeing anything out the side windows.

I am 6'2" tall and have tested the rear seats - yes they are a bit small and my knees were up to my nose, but I was sitting in "relative comfort".

Before we bought the Sorrento our dealer let us use if for a weekend so we were able to test it a few times before we signed the deal.

I would really call the 3rd row a "just in case" option but if you intend on using the seats all the time it may require some additional consideration and testing before you make the deal.

One other thing to consider with the 3rd row in the 2014's is the fact that Kia removed the "fold forward seat" - to gain access to the 3rd row in the 2014's you have to climb over the second row passenger seat - in the 2013 the seat back folds down and the bottom also folds forward giving you easier access to the seat - seemed a bit strange to me, but was one of the reasons we pick the 2013 rather than a 2014 (I had 3 salesman trying to fold the seat when I asked how to access the 3rd row before they realized the seat function had been changed).

Hope this helps!!! :D
I have a 2014 SX with 3rd row. It does indeed have 2nd row seats that flip and slide forward to get into the 3rd row. You do not have to climb over the seats. I'm 5'11" and have ridden in the 3rd row in decent comfort. I have a tendancy to get car sick and was fine.

·
Registered
Carnival EX Limited
83 Posts
If space is an issue then what about the upcoming Sedona, the outgoing model is cavernous and in my humble opinion is a brilliant car for purpose albeit a little bit low spec. If I was in the market for a new car I'd hold on for more info on the new Sedona. If you've got young kids then the power sliding doors are an option you have to tick.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX AWD
102 Posts
Depends... are your children 6ft tall, or 2ft tall?

:)

I have a 7-seater SX.

In any case, my guinea pigs (coworkers going to lunch) claim the 3rd row seats are okay for short rides only. The seats' headrests almost touch the back window, if the person's head is near the headrest, they definitely won't have good side-visibility due to the wide back pillars. If they are short, forget about it.

I plan on testing it out when I'm okay with someone else driving my new car... which may be a while. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts