Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 kia rio 1994 ford ranger 1977 chevy scottsdale
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering when the first kia rio came out and are they a good car and can a person keep one running up tp 300k miles and go in rebuild the engine tranny and go another 300k miles is this possible? thanks guys! :cool:

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul+, Kia Sportage SX FWD
472 Posts
The Kia Rio was first produced in 2000 (August 2000 I think I read). At its initial stage it was the cheapest (read least expensive) mass produced car sold in America. You can read all about them on Wikipedia. As far as getting one to last 300K miles? It can certainly be done, but at what cost? The Rio seems to do fine up to 100K and slightly beyond, but by 200K miles you would almost certainly need serious work. Now, having said that, I think if someone were to go above and beyond on their maintenance, you could stretch the miles some. Adding an external transmission cooler (automatics), and changing the fluid and filter every 30-40K miles is something I recommend. Changing the oil and filter at 3000-4000 mile intervals (it only holds 3.5 quarts of oil) is another. Flushing the cooling system each year, and driving gently and sensible ought to get 200K miles. Do expect to replace the catalytic converter(s) at 120K mile intervals, and do expect to spend extra time cleaning the throttle body, IACV, and other fuel/intake components. Timing belts are prone to breaking on some years, and the engines are hard to find since many are damaged beyond repair.Changing the timing belt is another maintenance item that is time consuming or expensive depending on if you do it, or service shop does it.
Bottom line: Do any and all maintenance per factory manual(or better), and repair any and all malfunctions immediately (belts hoses, brakes, leaks,etc), drive sensibly, and see what you can pull off. I read one guy here awhile back had 300K on his Rio. Do a search and see if you can find that thread.
New

·
Registered
2002 kia rio 1994 ford ranger 1977 chevy scottsdale
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay well I was thinking on the ones where the timing belt broke and put holes in the pistons does it also destroy the cylinders and if it does or not can you just rebore or put in new pistons and have the head repaired and or buy a head either way if the timing belt does break can the engine be fixed or repaired or machined to work again?

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
150K on my car and still running. Follow kevsters advice we have been there and done that. Did all the maintenance myself except for tranny and timming belt replacement due to time constraints. The timming belt is the most critical maintenance that must be done like you have seen there are not many engines in the junk yard's left out there but i do believe you can still get the part's to rebuild the engine if you need to 01-05 are interferance engines. I had my second cat block up at 130k and my tranny failed at 98k but was still covered under warrenty at the time. Rust is your enemy with these older car's but all in all i'v been happpy with it over the years. And yes it was cheap back in 2002. Reguard's Ronjohn

·
Registered
2004 Kia Rio sedan Manual 4cyl.
18 Posts
Does water pump need to be changed with timing belt? It is not stated for recommended service. Pepboys says it does. $850 for both

·
Registered
2001 Kia Rio
107 Posts
I have a 2001 Kia Rio with 134,000 miles on it. I change the timing belt every 55,000 miles and have yet to change the water pump, though it certainly wouldn’t be a bad idea. Other than regular maintenance like oil changes, plugs, and plug wires, I have only replaced the passenger’s side sun visor, one oxygen sensor, the right front wheel bearing (took it to a Kia dealer for that) and the starter. I bought the Kia because I once had a 1988 Ford Festiva (also made by Kia) that was a fantastic car.

I have been having an intermittent (and irregular) miss on cylinder number four that I have been trying to diagnose. Other than that, it has been a great car that, God willing, I will drive for many more years.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
It all requires the proper mindset..If you look upon it as a good cheap transportation car that requires some REGULAR maintenance (timing belt, oil, filter, transmission fluid, changes).. AND you don't try to peel out, power shift, and ignore reasonable upkeep then the car will treat you well...

Understand that buying a used car is a "roll of the dice"...Some people baby their cars..others drive them to their deaths and cry when they don't reach 300k..

Every forum will have the "one time" poster that will complain and then disappear back into the woodwork until his "new" car fails for the same reasons.

Ask for service records...search for hidden damage (accidents)...TALK to the original owner about what has been done to the car...

Remember a GOOD higher mileage car WILL have some parts replaced and that is NOT a sign of problems BUT a sign of an owner maintaining his investment..
Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts