Kia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all.

My neighbor backed into the front end of my 2013 Sorento, cracking a big hole in the driver's-side bumper.

Later that day -- and over the course of the following week -- the car alarm would randomly activate. There was never any obvious cause for the alarm to go off, but it would frequently happen in spurts; when it went off, I would turn it off, and then it would start again within a minute or two, maybe five or six times in a 15-minute period. Nothing I did seemed to address the problem. Locked or unlocked, even with the doors open, the problem would persist, to the point that I had to disconnect the battery every time I parked the car to avoid pissing off my neighbors.

Beyond that, the reverse camera stopped working. When I put the car in reverse, the screen would switch to the camera view, but the screen would be all black. The sensors, though, would still tell me if I was getting too close to something.

I submitted an insurance claim, but the other driver's insurer insists it is impossible for a front-end collision like ours to cause the described problems with the camera or alarm. The body shop reports that the alarm problem has stopped, so I'm not too worried about that, but I'd still like to see them pay for the camera issue if it's related to the collision.

I suppose it's possible that these problems both showed up purely coincidentally right after the crash, but it seems awfully unlikely.

Has anyone run into this before? Does anyone have any ideas how all this could be connected?

·
Registered
Sorento 2012
274 Posts
There are a lot of post here about the rear camera going bad. Do a search on this forum. I do not know of a way a front end hit could cause the backup camera to go bad unless the hit was so hard that it knocked some wiring loose or pinched the wires off. The Sorento uses at least two different back up systems in these cars. One has the display in the rear view mirror and the other has the display in the radio. You do not say which one you have. If the display is black then it could also be the display that is bad or the rear camera.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. The camera is feeding to an after-market Pioneer radio. It's just showing a black screen when I switch to reverse.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts