Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if there is any way to adjust the camber on the front wheels of my 2005 Spectra 5. My other car has a 30" adjustment which has helped a lot with tire wear.

Right now the tire is rolling over the outside tread more than it should. Pittsburgh is really hilly and twisty, so I'm turning more than not.

I know there are crash bolts and camber plates. Are there any other options? Lowering the springs isn't really an option because the whole reason I bought the car was the warranty.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
yeah, Yozick...I saw that too.

I haven't had my Spectra long enuff to know if the tires will wear evenly but I sure notice an almost total lack of any on-center feel on the steering wheel which a camber adjustment might help (course it might also cause the tires to wear to much on the outside, I dunno).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, those are the crash bolts I was talking about. If I got those bolts or a camber plate (that you mount at the top of the strut mounts) I'd have an allignment shop mark the positions of the bolt (or plate) in .5 degree increments. Not sure who would let me do that without charging way too much.

I was just hoping there was some way to adjust the camber without buying aftermarket parts.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Spectra5
76 Posts
Unless the car has been in a collision and is bent........camber AND caster should be well within spec's. thats why there arent any substantal adjustments provided.............if the car wont take a set and track in a straight line, I would check the toe first & the tires for a tire-pull / seperation. Also set the tire pressure higher if your taking corners hard.

I live in a very hilly area as well and I have no troubles so far. except taking the corners too fast. LOL.
Camber isnt gonna help. Some caster might, but only if theres something actually wrong with the alignment that adding caster would resolve.

I would hesitate to modify the car like an SCCA tourer' unless I had no other choice and nothing was wrong with the alignment.
I would rotate the tires front to rear, set the pressure and then road test. Some feathering patterns can be caused by excessive toe-out AND give you that squirrley feeling at-speed.
I would check the alignment for excessive toe-out first...............or unequal caster.
Dont forget to check the rear suspension too!!.............rear toe-out is just as unnerving as front toe-out and can give you the same seat-of-the-pants feeling on the Hwy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree that toe is the first thing that should be checked. However, think theoretical for a second. When you corner for 90% of your driving, you want your wheel to have the largest contact patch while cornering. If the car was designed to run on a Texas highway, I'm going to wear out the outside edge really quickly.

How is the caster adjusted? I thought it was just like camber and could only be fixed by an adjustable strut mount.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Spectra5
76 Posts
Toe suggestion was to address the twitchy/ wont take a set in a straight line complaint.
Camber & caster are preset on assembly and there are NO adjustments provided.
You will have to "Modify" the suspension pick-up points to change the settings.
Theoretical is fine........I do alot of racing on ovals in a bigger car but principle is the same.
The tire HAS to flex or it wont grip as well, if its rolling over too much your either running too low a pressure for your "brisk" driving style or there is something else going on with the car.
I live in a VERY hilly windy road part of the country also and I set the tire pressure higher to help this.
remember this car is reeeeal nose-heavy ! more than a 60/40 split to be sure, LOL.
SCTA has a minimum pressure of 45psig for racing events..............so 35- 40 psi in the front tires on the street, doesnt bother me in the slightest. car still rides well.
it has also helped my MPG :) last tank was 35

·
Registered
18 Posts
One other thing about tire pressure.

I posted elsewhere on the road noise from my stock Hankooks. I discovered raising the pressure to even just 32 psi dramatically improved the road noise - really a night and day thing. I have messed around with higher but the drop in noise was not so noticeable.

This suggests to me that the Hankooks are really designed to be run at 32 or more and the 30 psi recommended by KIA is an attempt to get a softer ride out of them.

I DO notice you feel highway section joins etc. slightly more at 32-35 but it is really trivial and I find it much better than the constant drumming/rumble/whatever-you-want-to-call-it I got out of them at 30 psi.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts