Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to change the intake on my 04 Optima 2.4 but looking for opinions/advice....... Cold-Air or Short-Ram Intake.
KFX makes a Cold-Air kit but it looks like the Short-ram would be a "piece-together"

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
A true CAI, properly routed and sized, will help. Can't say how much. A Short Air Intake will draw air from under the hood.(That includes the temperature of the underhood air). The non-restrictive air flow of both types is going to help also. Nneither of these types is a "Ram Air Intake". Different animal altogether.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I mentoned in another thread you can goto home depo and use pcv plumbing to make your own cai and then run it out to the front grill and cut a whole in the grill where the tube is and you will have a ram air intake which adds about 20 horsepower. Use white tubbing and you can custom paint it as well.
20hp, what planet are you from. You would be lucky to see 2hp from an intake. Get a reading buddy.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I mentoned in another thread you can goto home depo and use pcv plumbing to make your own cai and then run it out to the front grill and cut a whole in the grill where the tube is and you will have a ram air intake which adds about 20 horsepower. Use white tubbing and you can custom paint it as well.
Trust me. If Kia could get an extra 20 HP out of their engines by just adding a ram air intake, it would be done. The ram air effect doesn't start till you get up to some pretty could speed. I would like to see some track numbers to prove me wrong.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Its a RAM air intake. Big diferrence. Its like having a turbo. You shuld read the post before you just talk.:cool:
Short ram with the engines hot air, you do a little reading, hotter air yeilds LESS HP, cold air is where any gains will be seen. Its not the length of the intake.
Shorter does not equal, more hp, actually the longer intakes that are true Cold air intakes will yeild more, maybe 3-5 hp. MAYBE.
And please do not compair and intake with a turbo, its like earth and pluto, 2 totally different things.

No intake is a turbo, or even "like" a turbo.

You wont see any gains from your short ram intake. Do a google search, or go to any forums and look at intake threads. You are clueless, or new to car mods.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Its a RAM air intake. Big diferrence. Its like having a turbo.

This is the best saying ever, I gotta say, ram intake, huge difference LOL, Not quite there bud, and its not like a turbo, do a little research, VERY DIFFERENT.

If anything your HOT AIR RAM INTAKE is netting a lose in hp numbers.
Do a dyno, then come back.

Proven fact,
Hot air will create LESS HP than a colder intake air temp. PERIOD. The only exception is on a turboed car. But yours is not. No gains for you, maybe a mile or 2 MPG gain.

Here is just ONE article, there are millions more showing it will lose HP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_ram_air_intake

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
The actual "TURBO" is what forces air in, NOT YOUR LITTLE FILTER.
YOu can hear it better, hearing your intake does not make HP. A cone filter does this. LOL. Really you must be new to cars, or a troll, or cannot read. GOOGLE IT, post me ANY LINK to a claim of 20+ HP wiht adding a cone filter.
I am gonna call you on this, POST A PIC OF YOUR INTAKE, or I am BETTING, you simply installed a cone filter, which WOULD NOT IN ANY PLACE on earth, net you any gains. Noise from the intake, YES, but that is not HP BUD.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
You keep talking but no pics, let's see your most powerful intake on the planet. This is one of a kind.

Your little 4cyl. in no way needs that much air. AIR DOES NOT MAKE HP. ALL forced induction turbo systems require you to get more fuel to the engine with the more air, forced air. Injectors, regulators, whatever the route. If you had that much air you would lean the system out and blow it up.

YOu really have not a clue about cars do you? I am by far not an expert, but this does not take an expert to know this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My custom CAI

Just made a custom cold air intake for my 2005 Kia Optima based on tips from this guy. I was tired of the second delay response i would get after pressing the gas. I also had a short ram for a few years which did help when my car was cool, but lost its edge when the engine got hot.

Used 3 inch wide aluminum duct from Home depot and aluminum tape to keep its shape. Had to remove the existing duct behind battery and in the fender area. . .horrible design in my opinion. Also used plyers and peeled back opening to fender area so aluminum duct could fit through.

Been driving around and after 1st tank of gas, the response of my car to pressing down on the pedal is night and day. . .try it and see for yourself.

IMG_20121018_120653.jpg

IMG_20121018_135009.jpg

IMG_20121017_205119.jpg

IMG_20121018_135016.jpg

IMG_20121018_151323.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
What model kia is this?
Dual tb?

ITs not ME personally knowing anything, by far do I, just look on the net, in no instances, even with the best AEM intake and the likes are you going to see anything more than 5-7 hp, thats like tops.

Just google man, its your friend sometimes. There is tons of info on what an intake wi
ll net.

Guess the only way to prove me wrong or the likes on the net would be to get proof of your statement.

Now knowing everything as you say, HOW DID YOU COME UP WITH YOUR ASSUMPTION ON HOW MANY HP you got from the intake.

Does it "feel" like 20 hp, how does 20 hp feel?

Have you done an actual dyno test before the intake and after the install? That would be the only way you actually know how many hp you are getting from it, as of now with no actual prrof, for all you know you could have lost 5 correct?

Or are we know, back at "its feels like 20hp". I think you are feeling the "placebo" effect of your install.

I would like to know what 20HP would feel like

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
First let me say I am no expert. I am old school. I do know that the picture above has 2 Short Air Intakes (SAI) not Cold Air Intakes(CAI) or Ram Air Intakes(RAI). Second. There is a massive restriction at the point these two sets of intakes come together. If those 2 pipes each fed 2 cylinders then there would be a better chance of releasing some horsepower. 20? I doubt very much. Even if you mange to get a decent hood mounted scoop and if you get some good plumbing and manage to get some forced air into the engine you won't be able to get it past the restriction. I said earlier if you want to proove what you are saying(or disproove all of us that diagree with you) then I for one would like to see some time slips. Butt dyno's don't count. Believe me when I tell you if I had a real slip for every butt run I have heard of or had I would be a very old and wealthy man. The engines always sound louder when you install a SAI.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
I also want to note you can try and put x amount of air into the intake manifold from your intake, but it itself can only take so much, so another resitriction point is the intake manifold. You can put this much air into the intake, but can the intake manifold actually flow the same about, I am betting not, unless your ported that intake mani. Try putting forced air into a 3" pipe than downsize it to 2" a foot farther down, what happens to that air flow at the point after the 3" it is entering? Is slows down, becuase it was designed for a 3" pipe flowing X amount of air, that that 2" pipe manifold cannot. now all that air you were trying to force into that chamber, just cannot be put in there, it is not desinged for that amount of air, so even though your intake is better than the stock unit, you are still restricted at the IM, so not HP GAIN, LOSSES if you look at it this way.

·
Registered
364 Posts
1fastkia, this person is just messing with you, I hope. And if not, dont argue with stupidity, it gets know where.

I mean come on, a mechanic told him so... And I pvc pipe... everyone knows thats what pro's use when building anything for an automotive purpose.

Dont argue with this person, if some one is dumb enough to listen to the nonsense, let them listen... Proof is in the pudding, and reading these posts is pudding enough.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I see what you did there. No, I have no intrest in arguing with nonsene. But thanks.

PS: Kia never made a tiburon.
PPS: A 96 model shares nothing with the performance minded eclipse GST or GSX, or even the dodge neon powered GS.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A 1996 Tiberon is rated at what, 130hp? A 20 hp increase is about 15% more power. Given that what's shown isn't a cold air setup, I would assume at best similar intake air temps. Since what's shown isn't a ram air setup, what's left is the possibility that whatever air intake was on this vehicle before must have been quite restrictive compared what's on there now.

Prior to supercharging it, I tried a few air intake mods to my chevy truck's 5.3L. I never felt in my butt dyno any changes due to my intake mods. I did feel a slight change when putting on shorty headers, a significant change with a bigger cam, and of course the biggest change with the supercharger.

Bottom line, a 20 hp increase is possible, but just how dirty was that air filter in the previous setup?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have 96 Kia Tiberon. This is a performince car.chevy truck is not the same. That is like to compare toyota tercel to celeca. celeca will be way more hp with same mods.
Again.

...PS: Kia never made a tiburon.
PPS: A 96 model HYUNDIA TIBURON shares nothing with the performance minded eclipse GST or GSX, or even the dodge neon powered GS.
Engine displacment = more power and more apt to gaining more power from mods, so your theory is backwords. Again.

·
Registered
364 Posts
They are NOW, they were not in 1996. In fact they did not start sharing alot of stuff untill the early to mid 2000's, so again your car shares nothing with a kia.

Your engine is an air pump. The more air you can pump the more power you will make. You should prolly gander over some basic engine studies before you go on with your flurry of theorys all over the internet, not that I care to much, but you will really help yourself by learning how it actualy works, since you seem to want to mod your car, knowing what your engine actually does will help alot.

I had to learn this as well, I listend to a bunch of nonsense because it was what I wanted to hear when I was younger, come to find out 90% of it was untrue. It helped alot to understand the basics. Not trying to beat you down here, making an honest try to give some sound advice before you get to far into nonsense land and it seems very hard to get out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
People allways think they know everthing in a forum. Even tho I have pics. It is possibal to tune a car well with out buying $400 turbos. 20 hp is not that much to expeck from a air intake upgrade. Where is yur proof?
Sorry , but unless you provide dyno sheets , I won't believe that 20hp gain.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Where is yur proof?
We made no claims, what do we have to prove? Your car comes stock with 100hp at the wheels, Ok, here is a math equation for you, if you added 20hp with that intake, you just upped your HP rating with a simple intake by 25%, that would not happen in this world or even an imaginary world.

You would gain maybe .5-1%, not 25% gain.

You must be 15 and this is your first car, or you are totally clueless.
Hey I got one for you, if you change to iridanium plugs, you will gain 35 hp. From the better spark they give over a stock plug. And if you add an custom exhaust you will add 75hp because the piping is bigger and it flows 75% better than the stock one.

LOL, get a clue bud.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
9 Participants
1fastkia
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing