Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried to fit an optima sx CAI/SRI into a sportage SX?
How does it fit?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Has anyone ever tried to fit an optima sx CAI/SRI into a sportage SX?
How does it fit?
If you have one off an Optima SX would not hurt to try. I have a 2011 Sportage LX with a 2.4 the same 2.4 in the 2011 Forte SX and I used the turbokits.com cold air intake for the Forte SX 2.4 on my Sportage 2.4 and works great I only had to cut the intake tube in two locations fit better under the hood. A lil thinking and trying and mechanical skills will make ya happy at the end! Lol..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Cold air intakes are ok for any car as long as its a true cold air intake. The intakes that are not really good are the short ram intakes which have the air filter exposed under the hood to engine heat usually around the same height level as the valve cover and actually lose horsepower! You would need to have the air filter down low like near the splash sheild to be more effective and any power gains!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before you install one, check out some research throughout this thread. CAI turns out to be a terrible idea for any car I'll ever own.
I read that a while ago... I've had a few modified cars in the past and never had any problem with a cai/sri...
From my experience I know it does not give a lot of hp, but it makes the car feel more "alive"... And from what i read on the optima sx, a cai improves nearly 10hp at the wheels!!!
Besides that, the sound of a turbo sportage is absolutely discusting! It's probably the thing I hate the most about my suv ( besides the automatic transmission)...

·
Registered
557 Posts
Cold air intakes are ok for any car. The intakes that are not really good are the short ram. You would need to have the air filter down low like near the splash sheild to be more effective and any power gains!
&
I know it does not give a lot of hp, but it makes the car feel more "alive"... And from what i read on the optima sx, a cai improves nearly 10hp at the wheels!!!
The sound of a turbo sportage is absolutely discusting! It's probably the thing I hate the most about my suv (besides the automatic)
I can't really argue against those kinds of claims. All I can do is link evidence of aftermarket CAI marketing lies, show where performance reduces while damage risk increases, and point out that modern cars already have an OEM intake drawing cold air from outside the engine compartment. The only intake modifications I've seen that show benefits are on small motors (<10hp), badly-designed old diesel trucks, and 4x4 vehicles that risk submersion.

ToXiK, check out the modern Ford Mustang. There's many aftermarket parts for them, have available manual transmissions, and they focus on perceptions like noise and appearance (the cheap ecoboost looks much like the 5.8L V8). If you're stuck with your Sportage, at least with a turbo you can change the exhaust without worrying about backpressure maths, getting some small power gains while changing the noise. There's threads I've posted in on the exhaust systems, JunBL and 7ism etc.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
I had CAI/SRI on cars before, never had an issue. You literally have to submerge the filter in water and suck it in for longer than the split second it takes to shut the engine off in order to hydrolock it. If you are driving in water that deep, you have bigger issues.

We have all been over the fact that generally, without a tune, an intake is nothing more than a noisemaker. You may gain a few ponies, but nothing you will notice in real world performance. Is the price and work worth that noise? That is subjective. I think so, because I like to hear intake growl, as car makers tend to design intakes to be quiet. Further to that, on a turbo car, you will hear more spool, which some folks also enjoy (like me).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Cold air intakes and full exhaust systems never show or feel like hardcore power gains! If you want hardcore power gains just boost it or spray it or modify the cylinder head! That's all!

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
They sure do sound like power gains though! :)

I think engine sound adds a certain enjoyment to the driving experience, which is why I always added exhausts and intakes to my cars. The SX sounds like balls. It is funny because in previous cars I enjoyed the engine over my stereo. In the SX I usually crank the radio up to drown out the engine noise.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX FWD
354 Posts
+10hp at the wheels! sounds too good to be true!

·
Registered
557 Posts
10hp at the wheels is conservative. I promise a CAI will add 57 to 98hp at the sunroof. I've even seen CAIs zoom off without an engine. They are magic boxes of cotton.

Hydrolock at speed can cause catastrophic failure, but sucking in a splash of water might just flatten bearings or stress metal or something. CAIs should just avoid deepish puddles.

I've never understood the engine-sound thing. BMW M5s now play a V8 engine note over the stereo, and it's the most asinine thing I've ever heard of; if the engine is loud then the soundproofing is bad, and if another engine producing a different noise is better then I should get the other engine. Still, a bigger exhaust will stop backpressure from slowing the SX's turbo to increase performance, while aftermarket mufflers usually sound deeper, so I'd really suggest that. Otherwise, they're your cars to do what you like with :)

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
Dude, that is way too much power at the sunroof. You have to worry about traction at that point, your 60ft times will be terrible and what if it launches off the tracks and hits the car behind you?

In all seriousness, you don't understand the admiration for an engine note? The growl of the intake as the revs grow.....if you have a turbo, the sound of it spooling up. It is awesome.

Here is an old clip of my 350Z with intakes and a nice true dual catback exhaust (although you really only hear the intakes in the crappy video). Some don't care for the VQ35 sound, but I do.

EDIT - As far as the 10whp on a turbo engine, I would be as quick to dismiss it as I am to accept it. I have seen some nutty results on a dyno with some turbo cars. A lot of times the manufacturers make the intakes restrictive to comply with certain regulations and to keep the noise down. The SX engine bay looks pretty straight forward but there is certainly room for improvement. That stupid silencer right after the airbox is killing me. I want to figure a way to remove that and plug the hole safely but still be able to replace it for warranty work.

·
Registered
557 Posts
People who roll their cars are often late, but not if their sunroof has enough horsepower. The ride is rough and loud with the glass flipping around so fast, but you really feel the cold air and torque of the sunroof to road interface.

Yeah, I know, I've no car culture. I figure it's partly why I love a near-300hp Kia when everyone nearby thinks I'm nuts. I don't have a deep history on spoilers, fuel additives, wheels, and 12v gadgets, so when I research, I find enough cow fertilizer to grow vegetables on Mars (which CAIs can also do). There's marketing and claims, but sometimes independent test results too.

I agree, that engine sounds powerful. But with surround-sound, it sounds like I'm in the engine, driving a wind tunnel. Imagine that powerful driving feeling, completely silent. Maybe the noise can make it feel faster, like a low convertible with the top down, where a soundproofed car makes speed feel effortless. Still, I'd rather have a silent comfort-travel box, and a motorcycle. A 2L SUV doesn't make a good musclecar, and messing with the design arbitrarily has drawbacks.

CAI sells partly because it makes sense -- cold air is denser, engine compartment air is hot, air closer to the ground is colder in early morning and evening in the spring and summer, so denser oxygen feeds the combustion. But modern cars already intake cold air outside the engine compartment, and they aren't mounted like road vacuum cleaners, and intake calculations (filter and airbox size, etc.) use physics-crunching 3D-design-simulators to eke the slightest efficiency from components, and noisiness isn't engineering excellence. Except Keith from Riverside County has made a bigger $400 PVC tube. I hope that doesn't make BMW's revving stereo the ideal engineering solution, but it's available for the Sportage ;-)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok first of all I know everything I need to know about Cai and hydrolock and everything... I know that most of the cai out there only make you feel faster...
I also know that my sportage sounds like sh*t.

I misread the thread about the cai on a optima, it was on a Lx version...and it was 8 whp
http://www.kia-forums.com/performance/69644-cold-air-intake-2.html
I see there's injen that does a Short ram for the turbo-optima... Sounds good too... But I can't believe anybody tried it on a sportage!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had a custom cai on my 2011 Sportage 2.4 and it sucked! Loss of low end torque and filter gets wet all the time when it rains! Put the stock intake back on but removed the resonators for a more smoother flow and WOW!, a big difference in low end torque increase with the stock system! Kia/Hyundai know how to build their intakes from the factory correctly and got it down pat! If ya guys want real power bolt ons just turbo it or spray it! Lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
All these new cars now a days come from the factory with high flowing intakes and are already cold air intakes from the factory! The only time I believe you will gain from an aftermarket cai is when it's installed on an older vehicle that does really have a restricted factory intake but now a days newer vehicles are squeezing as much power as they can from the factory per liter!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts