Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual does not say anything about which way the flow air should point when installing the cabin filter.
I thought I would get some input here. I pointed the arrow up thinking that the air comes from outside and is
directed to the vents. Does this seem correct?

·
Registered
2017 Sportage EX AWD
4 Posts
I believe it's down. It would be easy to tell by looking at the dirty side of the old filter.

I used this video

·
Registered
2019 Kia Forte EX, 2020 Kia Soul EX, 2002 Corvette Z06
99 Posts
usually on the side of the filters there are arrows showing which way it goes.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll check again but the old one was about the same on both sides. Forgot that the dealer put filters in when I had my cooling system & transmission service.
Filter only had about 6,000 miles on it. I still think the flow is upwards but don't see any difference in the way the filter is made.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The video posted is the same brand I purchased and does show the arrow pointing down. I'll switch mine tomorrow.

·
Registered
2018 SPORTAGE LX AWD
65 Posts
It's definitely DOWN. If it were up then debris would somehow always try to cycle in the air vents before the filter, like a lotto ball machine.

·
Registered
893 Posts
'Down' is correct. The filter is above the blower on the air intake side which is the logical place when you wish to keep trash out of the blower and heat exchangers, not to mention the cabin. These 'cabin air' filters are the best thing ever done for longevity of the AC evaporator core and long-term air flow into the cabin.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did correct mine, but I'll be danged if I can see any difference by looking at it.

·
Registered
2019 Sportage LX AWD, 2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS
12 Posts
I purchased a cabin filter from a seller in HONG KONG where the filter have some activated carbon sandwiched between the element for around US$4.24 each so I purchased 2 pcs. Regardless of what material it was made of, it will still perform the same. The airflow directs downwards the same as my Hyundai Sonata.

The KIA dealer tried to UPSELL me a cabin filter for around $35.00 installed when I brought my Kia for a recall since it is already a year old. I just refused and told the service guy that I already have a spare at home, it is only a matter for me to install it.

·
Registered
2019 Sportage LX AWD, 2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS
12 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts