Kia Forum banner

Cabin Air Filter

6K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  xylene 
#1 ·
Check it! I had never looked at mine and that thing was GROSS! Had good air flow and no odd odors so I was lulled into complacency. No more - I'm changing it every year now. Good instructions in Owner's Manual and anybody should be able to do this. If the KIA dealer doesn't have it, check the Hyundai dealer, same part for the Tuscon/same year.

#2 ·
+1 highly recommend everyone to change theirs like 1saxman points out it's a quick painless procedure that will ensure your cabin air is clean and no oddors arise.

If you go the route of changing it once every year a good tip is just to take it out every 6 months and vacum the filter a bit, normally they are just a corrugated piece of cloth similar to an accordeon of sorts.

#4 · (Edited)
i think oreilly's sells the WIX unit. i have used this unit and the oem unit, both have similar function, endurance and cost. The construction of the wix unit seems to be more solid.

personally, i change the cabin air filter out every 10k miles, which coincides with my oil change interval. Sometimes, if there is a lingering odor in my car, will change it out sooner. I also try to vacuum through as much of the system as possible with my attachments. I find it helps a lot to remove any piled up leaves on the intake vent as well.

#7 ·
i don't doubt the efficacy of those [Activated] Charcoal Enhanced Cabin Air Filters, but i will say that they look a lot like a dirty filter that comes out of my car. TOO MUCH DIESEL EXHAUST!

#11 ·
Vents before cabin air filters were filthy. When starting a car, dust flying out of the dash was normal, and bugs and smoker tar&ash cycled through the system unfiltered. I removed such vents and filled them with engine degreasing detergent; soap, boiling water, household cleaner, citrus degreaser, nothing else worked. I kinda want to try cutting a furnace filter and slipping it in.

Most car airfilters aren't ideal. They aren't HEPA, there's usually no activated carbon, and sometimes they pack them with bakingsoda. Still, it's great for allergies and HVAC efficiency. Activated carbon will remove some odours and VOCs etc. It's hard to imagine a car taking in anything without filtration, but oil filters were once a novel invention.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.