Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 KIA SPORTAGE FWD 2.4 4cyl
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying a new 2021 KIA Sportage and would like to inquire as to their reliability? Thank You

·
Registered
2021 Sportage S 2.4 FWD
289 Posts
Its as reliable as the owner and has a pretty good warranty to address issues if they occur

The wife unloaded her 10 year old Hyundai Sonata, and we purchased 2021 Sportage with the same 2.4/6-speed(obviously updated a little over the decade). We took exceptional care of the 2.4/6auto Sonata and will do so on the Kia. As such, we don't worry about the reliability at all. We both drive not too friendly to our vehicles and follow the 'severe service' intervals and is what I recommend for maintenance, as seen in the owners manual.

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
1,084 Posts
I'm buying a new 2021 KIA Sportage and would like to inquire as to their reliability? Thank You
I can say for sure that my 2017 SX will be 5 years old in a couple of months. About 62,000 trouble free miles and it's fun to drive.
I would suggest that you use at least 87% top tier gas and NEVER use ECO mode. Good luck.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,511 Posts
Kia and it's Theta II engine have had some problems in the past, but it affects very few people. Honda has been known to have the best reliability in the segment, but some of those have had problems as well. When you buy a new car, there is always the possibility that you purchased a lemon -- with any brand. Most of us have had very good reliability, however. Personally, I wouldn't let reliability get in the way of buying this car. While I like my Sportage, I'm not sure I'd buy another one. I'm not brand loyal and always try to choose the best car for me at the time. I like driving and handling, sometimes aggressively, and am impacted by how the car looks. I think the Sportage is the best looking car currently in the segment. But the handling is not the best and it does suffer from above average road noise and low mpg. While my next car may be an EV, if I had to choose a car in this segment today it would be between the new Mazda CX-5 or the upcoming Genesis GV-70 (which has not been released as yet). The new CX-5 is a bit quieter (the older ones were noisy) and has better handling. The Genesis is based on the G-70 chassis and will be very quiet with decent handling. I have not test driven the Mazda CX-30, but I would. If money is no object, I like the Macan, but it's hard to justify the price.

Again, don't base your choice on reliability. Test drive a bunch of cars in the segment and choose the one you like best. Each of us has our priorities. Do you want the best looking car, or the best driving one, or the quietest for long trips, or the one with the most horsepower or mileage. Choose your priorities and then pick your car based on them Compared to the cars decades ago (and I've seen a great number of decades), the quality of most major brands today is extremely good.

Good luck and have fun....

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
1,084 Posts
Can I get an explanation here? Just getting up to speed on the Sportage - I'm guessing there's an issue here with ECO?
I was quoted here but will let the smarter people explain. I believe it retards the engine too much and that's a bad thing.

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
401 Posts
Our 2017 has had one minor issue only, that was resolved with a software update from the manufacturer, and covered under the warranty. We have 55,000 km's of ownership in just about 5 years since we bought it new.

Now, our warranty does expire in 6 months, and we are not worried at all though, since it has been exceptionally reliable from day one, so, we intend to keep it for 2 more years before we relocate and sell it.

FWIW.......your experience may vary.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento LX AWD 2.4L w/ Convenience Package, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander SE-AWC
588 Posts
There’s no “issue” with Eco mode. Some people want to avoid it for fear of “lugging” the engine (taxing it too much at too low rpms). You certainly don’t want to use Eco when carrying heavy loads or going up steep hills.
But a modern car is not going to destroy itself because you have it in the wrong mode.

·
Registered
2017 AWD Sportage SX Black Cherry/Beige
331 Posts
2017 SX owner since May 21st 2016. Other than a handful of times I leave mine in ECO.... No issues. This is one of those topics that like premium vs regular, oil choices/additives that goes on ad nauseam here which is fine.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,511 Posts
Can I get an explanation here? Just getting up to speed on the Sportage - I'm guessing there's an issue here with ECO?
The different modes change the shift points. ECO lowers the shift points. But you still have 6 forward gears so once the car is in high, all of the modes are the same because the modes cannot change the gearing. Depending on the way you drive, ECO can either lower mpg or raise it. If you drive aggressively in ECO mode, you will be lugging the engine, which results in lower mpg. If you drive very carefully in ECO mode accelerating very slow and coasting to stops, you will get better mpg, but only slightly. If you drive the same way in NORMAL mode, you will also get better mpg. In my own limited testing, driving very economically, the mpg was almost precisely the same either way. If you do mostly highway driving, you'll get virtually no benefit from ECO mode and you will limit yourself because emergency handling will suffer slightly. Much of the benefit of ECO mode is psychological. When people put the car in that mode, they tend to drive more economically. If you calculate how much money you'll save on gas with normal driving between ECO and SPORT mode over a year, it's very small, if you have a difference at all. If you were really interested in economy, you would not have purchased an SX and probably not purchased a Sportage.

Personally, given the small amount of money driving economically and aggressively, I choose to be in SPORT mode most of the time, drive to have fun, and NEVER drive in ECO mode. Will lugging hurt your engine? Most experts say it will, but I have not seen a whole lot of proof on the subject on a modern car. Logic says it will, but I'd like to see real proof.

Don't let opinions overtake science and fact. Understand what's happening and use reason. Many of the same people who think that ECO mode is good, think you should change your oil more often that recommended by the manufacturer and use premium gas. Neither is supported by technology, science, or testing.....

Reactions: AJ - K6LOR

·
Registered
208 Posts
I can say for sure that my 2017 SX will be 5 years old in a couple of months. About 62,000 trouble free miles and it's fun to drive.
I would suggest that you use at least 87% top tier gas and NEVER use ECO mode. Good luck.
Ditto SS: My 17 SX will be 5 years old in June and I have 63,000 trouble free & enjoyable miles on it 👍🏼

Reactions: SSportage
1 - 11 of 11 Posts