Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento 2019 LX V6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just picked up my 2019 Sorento LX V6 today and was disappointed that it does not have factory roof rails installed (silver roof rack rails running front to back). I know that there are OEM options to install these roof rails on 2016-2018 Sorentos as seen in the attached image. Does anybody know if these will also fit the 2019? If not, when do compatible accessories typically show up on the market? While this is a 19, it's a year old so I'd expect that accessories to be out by now. This is my first Kia but from what I've looked at, it doesn't seem like there were major changes from 2018-2019 Sorento models.

Any advice or thoughts? Thank you in advance for your help!

Schwipples

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,330 Posts
I'm curious: didn't you see the vehicle before buying it? It's not like you can order one from the factory.

Adding them wouldn't be a great deal of fun, considering the headliner is going to have to come out. Is this going to be a DIY job?
Only place I've seen them is Kia -- not unusual that they're typically only available as OEM parts no matter what brand. You should be able to order them now through the dealer or one of the online Kia OEM parts outfits.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
536 Posts
I cannot build a 2019 LX V6 without roof rails on the Kia site. The only model with roof rail delete is the base L and it is I4 engine only so not sure how you ended up with an LX without the rails. I'd speak to someone at Kia about what happened - did it start life on the production line as an L and then the build sheet changed it to an LX? Or is the rail delete an option for some odd reason?

·
Registered
1940 Ford 1965 GTO 2016 Vette 2019 Sorento
18 Posts
I've seen a thread probably on here from a KIA dealer tech stating there were airbags in the ceiling which prohibit his dealer from retrofitting the rails. Sounds odd to me but I haven't found any accounts of adding them on the net. I have a 19 XL V6 because I didn't want leather in Florida and other than having the world's ugliest front grill emblem it's a great vehicle.

·
Registered
Sorento 2019 LX V6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I purchased my LX V6 as a one year old rental vehicle. Could have been an option from Avis to get the LX without the roof rails? From what I've read, installing the roof rails on the 16-18 did not require removal of the headliner. Apparently the mounting points are already under the rain strips on the roof. You take those off, attach the rails, then replace the supplied rain strip pieces to finish it off. I was looking at a few different 19's when I purchased mine and a couple had the roof rails. Got mine at a much lower price than the others so thought I'd figure out the rack later.

Sounds like it'll be a waiting game to see if the accessory becomes available for the 2019 in addition to the 2016-2018. Even Yakima and Thule don't have attachment options for naked roof options.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
536 Posts
Yeh, I'm sure the rental companies buy enough fleet vehicles that they can specify certain deletes and I can see them not wanting people carrying loads on top of their rental cars although where they rent in ski areas, would think it's almost mandatory along with the ski cross rails.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento V6 AWD SXL
216 Posts
I purchased my LX V6 as a one year old rental vehicle. Could have been an option from Avis to get the LX without the roof rails? From what I've read, installing the roof rails on the 16-18 did not require removal of the headliner. Apparently the mounting points are already under the rain strips on the roof. You take those off, attach the rails, then replace the supplied rain strip pieces to finish it off. I was looking at a few different 19's when I purchased mine and a couple had the roof rails. Got mine at a much lower price than the others so thought I'd figure out the rack later.

Sounds like it'll be a waiting game to see if the accessory becomes available for the 2019 in addition to the 2016-2018. Even Yakima and Thule don't have attachment options for naked roof options.
I'm surprised to hear that Thule does not have compatible towers. Maybe on their site configurator they don't list it assuming that every Srento has at least rails, but I would suggest give them a call and talk to person on the phone who can help you out. Standard towers can be easily set up on most cars to provide support for rack. Worst case, ask them for the tower type that would be the closest to the type of roof that Sorento has and buy them to try out yourself. If it does not work out, it's easy to return.

It will be also substantially cheaper then trying to install Sorento rails aftermarket.

·
Registered
Sorento 2019 LX V6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Resolved!

Good news update and info for future inquiries:

Went back to Yakima's website yesterday and the option was added for a Naked Roof instead of the only previous option of flush roof rails. Ordered the Yakima setup and will put it on next week. Much better price than the OEM options.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento V6 AWD SXL
216 Posts
Good news update and info for future inquiries:

Went back to Yakima's website yesterday and the option was added for a Naked Roof instead of the only previous option of flush roof rails. Ordered the Yakima setup and will put it on next week. Much better price than the OEM options.
Good. I usually stay away from Yakima, but good that you found a solution.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento LX V-6
20 Posts
ditto, I'd like to see pictures of it installed. Didn't realize my 2019 didn't have a roof rack until almost 1 week later.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
536 Posts
ditto, I'd like to see pictures of it installed. Didn't realize my 2019 didn't have a roof rack until almost 1 week later.
Rails or rack? This thread is getting confusing to me because I have a feeling we're discussing both but intermixing terminology. The rails run parallel to the roof, the rack runs perpendicular and is connected to the rails. I ask because I've never seen LX without rails, Kia site wont't build an LX or higher without rails and now people on chiming in that they are in the same predicament as the OP. Not sure why I care except that I may someday wish to add the crossbar rack to the vehicle and would like to be able to research that separate and apart from the rails that came factory installed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I haven't researched prior years but I bought a 19 XL V6 without roof rails, no indication on the sticker about them being omitted. I see no indentations or pads on the roof. If indeed as posted elsewhere there are air bags in the roof it looks like a complicated retro fit.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento LX V-6
20 Posts
Rails or rack? This thread is getting confusing to me because I have a feeling we're discussing both but intermixing terminology. The rails run parallel to the roof, the rack runs perpendicular and is connected to the rails. I ask because I've never seen LX without rails, Kia site wont't build an LX or higher without rails and now people on chiming in that they are in the same predicament as the OP. Not sure why I care except that I may someday wish to add the crossbar rack to the vehicle and would like to be able to research that separate and apart from the rails that came factory installed.
no rails. it's a nice smooth top. Looking at my Dealership, none of their models have any provision for roof rails and/or a rack. they are all smooth roofed.

If I have to I'll install rivet serts. But I'm hoping to use a factory option (if exists lol)

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX AWD
239 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm having trouble figuring out what you guys are talking about. The silver rails along the outer edge of the roof are where the rack slats/crossbars attach. I've never seen a Sorento without those rails....ever.

If you buy the crossbars, they should attach to the existing rails.

https://www.kiaaccessoryguide.com/accessory/Sorento/2019/Roof-Rack-Cross-Bars-Black-w-Sunroof-1186
Are you saying I should be calling KIA because I didn't get roof RAILS on a 19 XL?

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX AWD
239 Posts
Are you saying I should be calling KIA because I didn't get roof RAILS on a 19 XL?
They don't come by default. You have to buy them. I didn't need them so I didn't order them. However, the mounting rails are on every Sorento (the silver rails running the length of the roof on the left and right).

Are people complaining that they're not getting free crossbars? They're not on your sticker there so they definitely didn't come with your vehicle from the factory. Whether or not you should call Kia is up to you. I'm not sure what you were expecting when buying the lowest trim on the Sorento. If it makes you feel any better, I got the SX trim and they don't come with that trim either unless you pay for them (extra).

Cheers!

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
536 Posts
People are still confused and it's frustrating. The only Sorento that you can build on their site without RAILS (the silver ones on each side of the vehicle running parallel to the length of the body) is a base L model. Every Sorento that I've seen has the RAILS unless they dropped them as standard equipment in 2019.

No Sorento came with the CROSSBARS (there run perpendicular, and attach to, the rails) as standard equipment, they would be either an option on the window sticker or a dealer added item on a separate sticker.

If people with 2019 vehicles that are NOT base model (L) cars could post a picture of their roof, it might help the confusion. If there are no rails on LX and up iterations, then the Kia site is wrong and I'd love to know the logic of dropping an item that is standard throughout the industry. If their cars have RAILS and they are thinking crossbars, perhaps they could work a little harder on getting the nomenclature correct for the rest of us.

I know when we bought our 2018, the 19's were out and in good supply and the salesman tried to upsell us to one and I'm certain it had the rails (what it didn't have was $4,000 in incentives :) ). I don't honestly know what trim level it was although probably an LX.

As to airbags in the roof, I think those are called side curtain airbags and have been in the Kia for years. They're not actually in the roof, they are in the facia trim. However, maybe there are some type on insert under the rubber trim and it's not that hard to add the rails and the interior headliner doesn't even need to be touched (especially if they did, in fact, stop making them standard).

·
Registered
18 Posts
"If people with 2019 vehicles that are NOT base model (L) cars could post a picture of their roof, it might help the confusion"

This is the 19 XL I posted the sticker for above, there isn't a single indentation let alone pads for roof RAILS.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
OK, took one for the team here: silver roof rails are apparently only included with the $2k convenience package on the XL

LX Convenience Package+$2,000
The Convenience Package includes:
Park Distance Warning - Reverse (PDW-R)
UVO eServices w/ 7" Touch-Screen Display
Heated Front Seats
10-Way Power Adjustable Driver's Seat, w/ 2-Way Power Lumbar Support
Dual-Zone Automatic Temperature Control with Auto De-Fog System
Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel
Leather Gearshift Knob
Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
Low Profile Roof Rails, Silver Finish
Shark Fin Antenna

+ See More

Looking into this further I see the rails are attached at the vinyl divider inboard of the drip rails? I haven't found anything that spoke to removing those dividers?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts