Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Ceed 2013 1.6 CRDi 2 5dr Auto Diesel
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Hope I'm posting in the right place.

I've put a holding deposit down on a Kia Ceed 2013 1.6 CRDi 2 5dr Auto Diesel (48k miles). I hadn't actually given the 'Diesel' thing much thought. Normal small family car use, so mostly short hops, longer 20min + drives at weekends, and 5 or 6 longer motorway drives a year.

Am I barking up the wrong tree with a Diesel? I'm reading up about DPF's and it all sounds a bit complicated for a car novice like myself. I just want to reliability and ease of use and nothing too technical!

Any advise appreciated.
Cheers

·
Registered
Cee'd 2 CRDi(126)
70 Posts
I have an MY13 (registered 31/12/2012) Kia Ceed 1.6 CRDi 2 5dr Diesel Manual, bought from new (pre-registered) in Feb 2013. Current mileage is 29,000 miles.

Most of my journeys are short - 4.5 miles each way, four days of the week, to take the dog for her walk. Longer trips are quite rare - maybe once a month, perhaps twice. The DPF has been no trouble whatsoever. It typically wants a regen every 250 miles and that needs about 20 minutes continuous driving, once the engine is warmed up, to clear. I can generally notice when a regen is due, either by mileage since last regen or noticing fuel economy plunge. If I don't have a longer trip planned I will simply extend my return home from the dog walk until the regen is complete. I can monitor for this moment quite precisely with the Torque Pro app on my phone and a Bluetooth OBD dongle.

I don't know what would happen if I ignored the regen needs completely, but I think the Kias are pretty good at taking care of themselves. I have never had a problem with my DPF and I don't foresee any. I plan to keep the car for many years to come. It is basically as good as new in terms of performance and extremely reliable. I'm still on the original battery and tyres.

The only "issue", if you can call it that, is that ISG basically does not work with my driving pattern as the battery charge state is too low for it to want to keep cranking the engine. This is a common finding for this vehicle and most people have given up caring. The £0 annual VED remains as the main advantage.

p.s. There is a fairly common fault with these cars, which is failure of the LED daylight running lights. Mine failed in year six of ownership and were replaced under warranty. No problems since. It is an expensive repair if done outside warranty.

Reactions: SteveClear

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks TDodd, this is extremely helpful info.

I can generally notice when a regen is due, either by mileage since last regen or noticing fuel economy plunge
So there' no light on the dash or anything, the onus is on the driver to keep on top of that and be mindful of regens?

needs about 20 minutes continuous driving, once the engine is warmed up, to clear
There's no particualr driving mode, or button you hit (sorry this might be dumb!) to actually do a 'regen'? It's something that just automatically occurs when you drive continuously for 20 mins + after the engine is warmed up?

So if you've recently done a motorway trip, you can feel assured that a regen was done!?

Thanks for taking the time out to educate me.

·
Registered
Cee'd 2 CRDi(126)
70 Posts
I have never seen a warning light relating to DPF/regen or anything else. The process is fully automated. Nothing to press. A motorway journey will definitely complete a regen if one needs doing. B road cruising would also be fine. Basically, 50 MPH+ for 20 minutes (I think 17 usually gets it done for me) will sort you out. It might take longer if the regen is very overdue, I guess. Not sure on that.

Oh, and in the absence of any fancy monitoring apps, resetting the trip MPG each time you drive will let you observe abnormally poor fuel economy, which is a sure sign of a regen in progress. You may also notice a "hot smell" coming from the car if you stop and get out when a regen has been and is still active. You don't have to get back in and complete the regen, but it's good to be mindful of your trip planning when you become aware of the need for a regen to take place.

I don't know if having an auto makes a scrap of difference. I guess it shouldn't, but........?

Reactions: SteveClear

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again. I feel re-assured about the DPF/Diesel side of things. Having a test drive on Friday so could well be an owner by Friday afternoon.

The fault you mentioned about the LED daytime running lights. Is that a deal breaker? Can you safely drive without them? Any ball park ideas of repair cost as I will be outside of warranty.

·
Registered
Cee'd 2 CRDi(126)
70 Posts
Failed lights = failed MOT. I don't know the costs. Several hundred for sure.

·
Registered
Cee'd 2 CRDi(126)
70 Posts
I may be wrong, but I thought that if the lights were fitted then they had to work. That is not the same as them being a compulsory fit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. Update - I went ahead and bought the car. Very much enjoying it so far. I was driving a £1000 Chevrolet Kalos (2007), so the jump to a 2013 Kia Ceed is a significant and very noticable one!

Reactions: tdodd

·
Registered
Cee'd 2 CRDi(126)
70 Posts
Enjoy your "new" car. I'm still enjoying mine after 7+ years. :)

·
Registered
1.6 CRDI 128hp City 2014 Planet Blue + options
6 Posts
Hi, to find out if it regenerates or not, you can look at 2 things: 1: the consumption bar when you do not accelerate will remain at 1-2 l of gas, or when
standing still rotation indicator oscillates. When it does not regenerate, the yellow consumption indicator shows nothing, it remains black .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts