1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from a newbie from Norway
We have a seamingly good offer from a dealer on a Sportage 2006
(2,0L 140hp diesel)
The thing is the previous owner didnt care to much about the oil replacement intervals .
The car has 85000 km (52816 miles) on it and the two latest oilshifts has been with 25K (15534 miles) intervals.
Would you think it should put us off buying it?

Kind Regards,
Jan

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Greetings,

I'd be wary of the length between oil/filter changes as well, but if the motor is running well, and there are no other issues, e.g.: no Check Engine Light (CEL) or Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) lit / (CEL or MIL) codes appearing,

I'd ask the dealer for a 6 month engine/drive train warranty as part of the purchase, make sure the dealer has done a full oil change / new filter service, and do a short-interval oil-filter change (5,000 kms / 2,500 miles) after purchase.

(From what I've read, the standard oil/filter service interval on the CRDi diesel motor is 15,000 kms / 7,500 miles..)

There are 2nd-gen CRDi (diesel) owners that frequent the 2nd-gen Sportage forum, you may also want to ask your question there (or possibly a kind forum moderator will move this thread there..)

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
One thing in the diesel's favour is that sump capacity is much bigger than the petrol engine. That might have helped it survive the long service intervals. I wonder if the service intervals were 15,000 miles due to some misreading of the schedule?

I would look for any evidence of "sludging", but that might not be available to you if the dealer has already changed the oil/filter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts