Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Sorento V6 4x4 with 20k miles. Up until now I have had no complaints. The other day I noticed a burning smell it seemed coming from the air vents. I looked at the dashboard and there were no warning lights and the engine temperature was fine.

The smell went away after maybe a minute. When I got home I checked under the hood and couldn't see or smell anything burnt. I even checked to make sure the emergency brake wasn't on or slightly pressed down.

Well today the smell came back and it is definately coming through the vents. It doesn't smell like antifreeze or anything like that. I am going to take it to the dealership on Monday but I was wondering if anyone had heard of this or maybe have an idea of what it might be.

Thanks so much!

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Notice any stains under the engine bay where you park? Could be a drip of oil or some other fluid onto the hot exhaust and getting inhaled by the HVAC intake in the cowling.

Best,

·
Registered
04 Frontier V6 4WD; 2011 Sorento LX I-4, 6 spd auto AWD, Titanium, 3rd seat and PKG#1
221 Posts
Might want to check your cabin air filter. A search in this forum will tell you all you need to know about that component, including where to get a new one for cheap. Good luck--Frank

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
It's fall here in Canada. Not sure where you live but if a leaf gets under the hood somewhere and lands on the exhaust, it could cause the smell.

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
lol.. i have experienced this before, smelt like burning plastic but nothing in the engine bay.. kept looking then i dicovered there is a plastic grocery bag that was sticking to the exhaust, where the resonator and catalytic converter is .. maybe check that..

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
lol.. i have experienced this before, smelt like burning plastic but nothing in the engine bay.. kept looking then i dicovered there is a plastic grocery bag that was sticking to the exhaust, where the resonator and catalytic converter is .. maybe check that..
Heh, that's happened to me before too on my Audi. I ultimately had to use an air grinder to get the melted plastic off (the catalytic converter shield) since the smell was really foul and I didn't want to wait for it to burn/melt off.

Best,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts