Kia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I have a 2014 Kia Soul and recently had to put 3 bottles of oil into it.
Are you finding that these cars and they increase in mileage are burning oil?
Is the only workaround checking levels every 500 miles or less or is there
something else i could do?
Thanks and stay safe!

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
818 Posts
What's your oil change history, how often do you change oil, what oil?
What's total mileage on the car?
If oil isn't changed often enough you can get carbon buildup on piston rings and they get stuck thus allowing oil to get into combustion chamber thus you burn oil.
There is also a chance your engine is wearing, PCV needs replacing etc.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i get the oil changed every 3-5,000 miles as recommended and whatever oil they put in.
my car has about 94,000 miles

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I have a 2014 Kia Soul and recently had to put 3 bottles of oil into it. i get the oil changed every 3-5,000 miles as recommended and whatever oil they put in.
my car has about 94,000 miles
You wait until it needed three quarts? Probably irreversible damage has occurred because of the possible multiple over-extending waits on topping-off your oil.

PC Valve and engine flush may help a little. Buying thick Rotela T5 5/10w30 oil may slow down the consumption a little too.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have not been driving my car much due to the quarantine i. e grocery store around the xorner once a week and i had already had an oil change in late November.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I edited my above post. You may need to read it again.
Keep topping-off. Keep the dipstick level at / near the full mark. Add a quart of Marvel Mystery oil about 1000 miles prior to the next oil change. Use thick oil next OCI. Change the oil by 4k from now on. Get a new PC Valve.
All my opinion.....

·
Registered
2018 Kia Soul+ , GDI motor
5 Posts
I have a 2018 Kia Soul+ and the past 3 oil changes, i’be been notified of no oil left on the dipstick!! Even after the 1st time, I’ve had to add oil well before the 3000 mile interval and change the oil religiously even though the it’s recommended 5000 miles with the type of driving being done. This Kia only has 73k miles and before anyone asks, i do ensure there is sufficient amount of oil after the changes. Of the 3 changes i mentioned, the 2nd one i done myself just for reassurance again and also had to replace the oil pan nut since the threads were starting to wear. Realistically I’m getting about 2k miles before having to add oil. Which i’’ve been using synthetic blend as recommended in the owners manual. Has Anyone replaced the PCV valve as mentioned above, and has it helped? I’m going to replace ours just to see, figure it wouldn’t hurt. Has anyone talked with Kia about this? What is the official word? This car is babied since it’s my wife’s car and she loves this car. But we both ANYONE with feedback would be appreciated as I’m VERY concerned here.

·
Registered
2012 Soul Base
17 Posts
I have a 2018 Kia Soul+ and the past 3 oil changes, i’be been notified of no oil left on the dipstick!! Even after the 1st time, I’ve had to add oil well before the 3000 mile interval and change the oil religiously even though the it’s recommended 5000 miles with the type of driving being done. This Kia only has 73k miles and before anyone asks, i do ensure there is sufficient amount of oil after the changes. Of the 3 changes i mentioned, the 2nd one i done myself just for reassurance again and also had to replace the oil pan nut since the threads were starting to wear. Realistically I’m getting about 2k miles before having to add oil. Which i’’ve been using synthetic blend as recommended in the owners manual. Has Anyone replaced the PCV valve as mentioned above, and has it helped? I’m going to replace ours just to see, figure it wouldn’t hurt. Has anyone talked with Kia about this? What is the official word? This car is babied since it’s my wife’s car and she loves this car. But we both ANYONE with feedback would be appreciated as I’m VERY concerned here.
I'm new to Kia's but have been a mechanic all my life so can speak in general terms at what I'd look at first. Generally, oil consumption is either a result of leaks, or of burning oil. When you drive the car and then park it, do you find oil spots on the driveway or the ground underneath of it? If it's parked on gravel it might help to slide cardboard under it, especially if there are already oil spots on the ground. If leaks aren't the problem, the next step would be to remove your spark plugs one at a time, and looking at any buildup and color of the ceramic insulators. Don't mix up the plugs because you need to watch for things like where two fouled plugs are next to each other, telling you to look for things like intake leaks or a blown head gasket. Normally you'd know if they were fouled to that point though, but the point is you want to read your plugs. I'm sure you can find guides online shoeing rich and lean burn, oil burning, and so on. You'll normally have oily buildup in your exhaust if you're burning oil (dry soot is a rich burn - often with a check engine light). Anyway, some initial ideas to look at.

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
818 Posts
I'd also suggest checking oil level at least every second gas fill up and checking coolant for oil presence.
As it was mentioned before, oil can burn due to getting into combustion chamber, it can leak out or it can go into coolant.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts