Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 LX+
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has probably been mentioned more than once, but I did a quick search and was unable to find the information, so I appologize if this is a repeat. I am looking at getting HIDs for my 2013 Rio5 LX, just wondering what bulb size is needed for these?

Thanks

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
929 Posts
If you want to put HID's in your reflectors, save yourself the money.
Just drive around with high beams on all the time. It gives the same effect.

If you have projectors, go for it.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 LX+
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not to sound like an a**hole or anything, but the HIDs are for me seeing better, not really concerned about other drivers. I live in an area where there is a lot of woods, so having the HID lights really help with seeing. The stock bulbs on these cars are garbage. I've been using HIDs for years, and maybe I am just used to them, but can't stand these ones

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
464 Posts
If your young you will do this no matter what anyone will say. All the young ones are doing it and majority dont know any better.

Yes it blinds people. Be considerate of others on the road. Karma comes in many forms if one is not.

As you have legitimate reason for wanting it you can tint your headlights with either window tint film or nightshade and still have your HID's in. It reduces the glare for oncoming drivers and still gives you a wider beam of light.

·
Registered
2012 Black Kia Rio5 SX w/ Nav, 2005 Honda Odyssey EX
190 Posts
Check yours though by physically removing them. Documentation was wrong for me.This is what I had.

Low: H11b, High: H1, Fog: 9006

After many trials and errors I ended with, Low: HID, High: Stock or LED (not sure yet), Fog:LED.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio EX 6M 5-door
80 Posts
not to sound like an a**hole or anything, but the HIDs are for me seeing better, not really concerned about other drivers. I live in an area where there is a lot of woods, so having the HID lights really help with seeing. The stock bulbs on these cars are garbage. I've been using HIDs for years, and maybe I am just used to them, but can't stand these ones
the stock bulbs are not garbage. If you're used to HIDs, yes, the Rio will have less light output in comparison. The reflector is optimized for the bulb, however. And that may be negated by an HID bulb.

I just said don't put HIDs in a reflector because it is stupid. If you are going to be as selfish as you are, then there is no stopping you. You live pretty much in the GTA. So you will likely drive in urban areas. imagine if every motorist had the same opinion as you. Everyone with annoying HID lights. If you cant see good enough with the lights on your Rio, I may suggest an eye examination, fog lights, driving lights, etc. I can see just fine in mine and there is much more bush and rural land where i live than where you live.

·
Registered
929 Posts
This is what I'm going to recomment to you:

1) Swap out your reflector-based headlights for some stock Kia projectors.
2) Get some projectors and retrofit them into your current headlight housings.
3) Get some driving/spot lights. Not fog lights.

A lot of fog lights give the same amount of glare as HID's in reflectors - a.k.a. you look like a "cashed up bogan" (See: http://vibewire.org/2012/04/the-rise-of-the-cashed-up-bogan/)

As far as being an a-hole on the road, what the hell is wrong with you?
I know people around here put HID kits in their
Lancers...

Commodores...

... all the time. Every time I see one oncoming, I just leave my high beams on.

TJ85's tinting idea won't work, because it won't reduce glare, it'll just bring down useful light output.
Your only option to use a HID kit in your reflector housing would be to completely 100% black out portions of the plastic cover on the headlight unit, to match the beam pattern of stock halogens.

Personally, I would just get HID or LED spotlights.
I'm no stranger to mounting things on Rio's. *points @ sig*

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had HID lights in my previous car for a good 4 years (reflector housing). I found that as long as you aim them properly, you won't blind the incoming traffic.
TBH, I would say 30% of cars headlights aren't adjusted properly anyway; whether it's an overloaded minivan or pick-up truck, or just some drivers that don't know better. EVEN the newer factory-equipped HID vehicles can be pretty bad sometimes.

@apxwingman; do whatever you want despite what others are saying. You are young and use that to your advantage (since age makes a difference apparently).

Yes, I do agree that HIDs in reflectors blind incoming traffic, but let's ask the more important question: who is more important? for me, my ability to see (i.e. safety) outweighs everyone else's temporary blindness for all I care. Does that make me an a-hole as well? definitely. To be fair; everyone else has the same right to exercise their right to be an a-hole

I'm also pretty sure retrofit HIDs are in the grey area in terms of legality. At least here in Ontario or even Canada. So instead of complaining about those who do, why don't you take it to your local politician and get them to make it 100% illegal and enforcing it. It's your tax money, buddy!

Another thing Xwing, why don't you convert your fog lights only instead of the headlight? it's something that you can switch on and off easily and it's not so bad on the incoming traffic.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Yes, I do agree that HIDs in reflectors blind incoming traffic, but let's ask the more important question: who is more important? for me, my ability to see (i.e. safety) outweighs everyone else's temporary blindness for all I care. Does that make me an a-hole as well? definitely. To be fair; everyone else has the same right to exercise their right to be an a-hole
Wow. Egocentric much?

Let's be real clear here. This is not about your ability to see. This is about you doing what you want to do regardless of its effect on others. The stock headlights do not hinder your ability to see, nor are they of such poor light output that they are dangerous. Your desire to see MORE than what stock headlights allow does NOT outweigh the safety of others. Let's inject a little maturity into your decision making.

I don't mean to turn this into a flame war but the complete lack of concern for the safety of others is quite disturbing. Glad you are several thousand km away.

·
Registered
109 Posts
of no offence taken.. As I have stated, I am an a-hole when it comes to my safety. I'm not being immature; I'm just being realistic here Marley. Who honestly cares about my safety? NO-ONE. sure the police cares about upholding the law and the insurance cares about their profit. But someone who actually cares about MY safety? I doubt anyone reading this would care if I get into an accident and died because I was blinded by a driver who retrofitted his car with an HID light. Am I correct here?

Do I support the use of retrofit HID lights? NO. I hate seeing it as much as everyone else. But on the same token - like I said - my ability to be able to see while I'm driving 100+ km/h on the highway at night (for example) outweighs my concern for others.

To call me egocentric is probably pretty damn close, but aren't we all? I mean, everyone here work, studies, make decisions solely for their own benefit, no? Yes there are secondary and tertiary affects of those actions in your immediate family, community, and country but that doesn't make you someone who is not egocentric.

Again Marley, or anyone else who might be offended by this; I'm not here to argue that i'm an a-hole when it comes to thinking only about myself. There's no argument there. take it as you wish, that is all.
\
By the way, i know this wasn't your intention, but I wound't pin this stuff on young adults or teenager. I've seen plenty of adults driving cars with retrofit HID's.

Thanks Marley61

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Zergal, I totally disagree with your reasoning. However, I am impressed with the maturity of your response.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey no worries. We're all adults here and just because we have different philosophy in life doesn't make yours right nor mine wrong.

Thanks!

·
Registered
929 Posts
If a car came at you with HID's, you'd be blinded... Thus, you wouldn't be able to see behind them, despite what sort of lighting you had on your car.
Its just common courtesy, IMO. Don't make yourself into one of those street-kiddies.

If you want to see further, get higher wattage halogen's. And some spot lights.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts