Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'17 Sportage SX Turbo, Hyper Red
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Officially hit a month with my Sportage, and I've been drafting up my plans for my camping/overlanding rig. Seeing some of your builds has me excited for what I want to do.

So as my car sits stock in the street, I'm wondering what recommendations you guys have for:
  1. Lift kits
  2. Wheels
  3. Tires
  4. Skid-plates
  5. Panoramic roof friendly rails, racks, and baskets.
It's a lot, but I know you guys have already done a lot of this, and any help would be appreciated. Thanks y'all!

·
Registered
2018 Sportage EX
37 Posts
Other people will have recommendations for everything else, but as for the skid plate, it will have to be custom built. Nothing off the shelf exists and there are no existing brackets or holes underneath your Sportage to support them.

Not saying it can’t be done though. I built an aluminum replacement for the cardboard under engine cover thing a year ago. It works pretty well, but the mounting points are not meant for the beating a skid plate will take.

·
Registered
2020 kia sportage lx awd
56 Posts
Other people will have recommendations for everything else, but as for the skid plate, it will have to be custom built. Nothing off the shelf exists and there are no existing brackets or holes underneath your Sportage to support them.

Not saying it can’t be done though. I built an aluminum replacement for the cardboard under engine cover thing a year ago. It works pretty well, but the mounting points are not meant for the beating a skid plate will take.
I was thinking bout doing something similar minus underneath the engine bay. I dont even have a plastic one on mine. Just the cardboard cover. I dont plan on doing much off-roading. Just for style. Any pics of what u have done?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX AWD
42 Posts
Hey welcome to the world of KDM soft - roaders!

My tire size 245/65/17 in BFG KO2 (can't fit bigger without spacers)

I've for a 30mm spacer lift from Tema 4x4 but Ready lift makes a better 2 inch lift in my opinion.

Eibach and bilstein also make a 1 inch pro-lift kit comprised of springs and struts (my future purchase once mine blow).

My wheels are KMC Bully 702 in matte bronze. Light weight and great overall. They are 17 inches in diameter and 8 inches wide.

I just grabbed roof rails from my kia dealership, may have been Thule brand, and I can run my RTT or roof basket and awning all while still being able to open the sunroof fully. Mind you, it doesn't stay open long when you have all those things creating noise above you 😂

Good luck!

·
Registered
2018 Sportage EX
37 Posts
I was thinking bout doing something similar minus underneath the engine bay. I dont even have a plastic one on mine. Just the cardboard cover. I dont plan on doing much off-roading. Just for style. Any pics of what u have done?
Here's a final picture of mine. Made of 3mm 5052 aluminum plate painted with truck bed liner. The hardest part by far was bending the damn thing. If I had to do it again I might go thinner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts