1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento 2008 GMC Duramax And several derby cars
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Sroento 4x4
Doing brakes on my wifes truck.
I broke off the little screw that hold the rotor on.

The two little ones not the lug studs.

Now it has a broken off easy out in it.

Any suggestions?

Can I just put it back together without the little screws in the rotor as one buddy suggested?

I deformed the phillips slot on the others so I need new screws before I can reassemble anyway.

Ideas?

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,527 Posts
We NEVER put those screws back on. They are there for the production line assy only!

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Wheel nuts keep it all together, of course. The rotors aren't going anywhere with the caliper in place. Damaged screws will need to be drilled out if the rotors ever need replacing. The snapped easy-out will complicate this.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,484 Posts
Damaged screws will need to be drilled out if the rotors ever need replacing. The snapped easy-out will complicate this.
I don't think so. The rotors are attached to the spindle and the screws just hold the rotor in place when you pull the tire off. It does make it easier when installing the calipers. The screws keep the rotor from wobbling. As long as the easy-out is flush with the hub he should not have an issue. I personally install them with anti-seize and set with an impact screw driver. To each his own.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Just suggesting that the damaged screws may need to be drilled out some time in the future, and not replaced. Drum brakes often have similar screws. If no screws, drum may be integral with hub.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento 2008 GMC Duramax And several derby cars
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well got the easy out remains removed, and then broke two more easy outs.
Still got the remains of the last one in there. It will stay there as long as I own this truck.
Put new screws in to hold the rotors on in the other holes that weren't damaged.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
I always put those back in with an antisieze compound, although as mentioned above they are really there just to hold things together during assembly. Best way to get them out is with an impact screwdriver. Unfortunately this sometimes snaps the heads off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I hit those with a impact drill driver too. Pops them without any issues every single time. I stripped them the first time with a regular screw driver, lol. Also make sure you use the proper phillips head or it'll strip it out too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts