Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia Optima LX, '12 Cadillac SRX-4, '02 Honda Goldwing
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I have a busted spring on the right front of my 07 Rondo. I was backing out of my driveway one morning to go to work and heard it break. Really wierd. I then had an immediate clunky rattle in the right front. 88k on it. Totally unexpected especially after a dealer inspection 3k ago!

I thought a sway bar link broke. But everything is still tight with the exception of a jagged piece of broken spring at the bottom.

Anyone else experience or hear of this?

So far in looking for a replacement all I can find is from Kia itself. Unless I buy used.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,504 Posts
Brand new front coil spring $118.00 from any Kia dealership I would not buy something like this used. I'm in Waterford where do you live? I could sell you one for $98.00, 2 days to get. PM me if you want one.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,806 Posts
should you replace both sides?

I guess while doing it you might change the shock absorbers as well. 90k miles is a good time.

Also, I would inspect other springs.
Why would it crack? Rust? Material fatigue?

Mark, have you had any cracked?

·
Super Moderator
4,504 Posts
I sold 2 of them if I remember correctly......
And yes I would replace both.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I will replace both at the same time. Already have them ordered from kiaautomotiveparts.com for $93 ea., $203 with shipping to my door.

My Brother is a ASE Certified Master Mechanic (retired from wrenching, but still works on family cars) and he will install them for me. He'll take a good look at the struts in process. Still has a good ride even with the busted spring, so they are probably still good. But we'll see.

I'm in Warren, moved here from Ponticrack... I mean Pontiac in November of 2010.

I bought my Rondo from Summit Place Waterford back in May of '07. Took delivery right off the showroom floor.

·
Super Moderator
4,504 Posts
Yes, I will replace both at the same time. Already have them ordered from kiaautomotiveparts.com for $93 ea., $203 with shipping to my door.

My Brother is a ASE Certified Master Mechanic (retired from wrenching, but still works on family cars) and he will install them for me. He'll take a good look at the struts in process. Still has a good ride even with the busted spring, so they are probably still good. But we'll see.

I'm in Warren, moved here from Ponticrack... I mean Pontiac in November of 2010.

I bought my Rondo from Summit Place Waterford back in May of '07. Took delivery right off the showroom floor.
Glad to see you got a good deal. Summit place Kia is where I'm at right now. LOL

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I got it done last Wednesday. Brother charged me $100 to put them in. no clunking now. Car never drove bad, so I won't say it drives better!

1st thing that has actually gone wrong with this car, so we can't complain. 89k and counting.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo
4 Posts
I also have a broken right front spring on my 2007 Kia Rondo (87,000 miles). They pulled it out when I went for an oil change. The broken part is rusty, so it looks like it's not a recent break! They suggest I need to replace my front springs & struts, and rear shocks, and are quoting ~$1700 for that (plus $250 to flush the transmission fluid and power steering fluid). Seems like an awful lot - is that in line with what's reasonable? Or is this likely just an up-sell cash grab?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
probably a too late reply, but it sounds like an upsell to me.

Had that happen with a brake shop on mine. I went to a nearby shop since I moved 30 miles from the place I used to go. they wanted to sell me new calipers, rotors, and pads. $550. I took it back to the place 30 miles away and I was out the door with new brakes for $150. Pads were warrantied since I had them done there before, they lubed the slides on the calipers, and turned the rotors. got another 12k on it since then and the brakes are still great. Saved myself $400 by driving 60 miles (there and back). Who wouldn't drive 60 miles for $400 bucks?!?!?!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Old thread getting revived.... Guess what? We just experienced another broken front spring! This time it's the left front. Only have a touch under 102,000 on it. What the heck.
Probably 1/2 a coil broke off.. Fell out on the driveway this morning. Why me? We bought the car May 31, 2007 with 13 miles on it. Been a damn good car. just weird about these springs.

·
Premium Member
6,806 Posts
Weird indeed.

We had Rondo for 8 years and put 66k miles. No problems with suspension whatsoever...
And being in basically same area I would not see why climate would influence it more.

Could be rough roads? Heavy load in the car?

·
Super Moderator
4,504 Posts
Old thread getting revived.... Guess what? We just experienced another broken front spring! This time it's the left front. Only have a touch under 102,000 on it. What the heck.
Probably 1/2 a coil broke off.. Fell out on the driveway this morning. Why me? We bought the car May 31, 2007 with 13 miles on it. Been a damn good car. just weird about these springs.
1 year, 12,000 mile warranty on all OEM Kia parts bought from a Kia dealership..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No heavy loads, just Michigan roads....

Even if I did go to an actual dealership, I'm 2+ years out and 24000 miles.

I still have the original left strut assembly the car was born with, I think I might just throw that back on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another update, The left spring broke a second time and the spring fell down off of the perch dropped the whole front end down and the tire hit the fender. I had my original left strut assembly put back on and had the rest of the car checked out. Guess what? the right spring is broken too. What the heck. I guess the roads in the Metro Detroit area at just too rough for the poor little KIA springs.

We like the car too much, so more new springs on order.

·
Premium Member
6,806 Posts
Something must be wrong with your car...

You cannot complain on Michigan roads as I had Rondo in Detroit area for 6 years, then two more years in Lansing. And we never had any spring issues. Nor have I heard of any before.

·
Registered
2007 KIA Carens 2.0 CRDi, 7 seat, 200.000 km / 2017 KIA Niro HEV, 8.000 km
43 Posts
That seems like a really strange issue - I bought my Carens new in March 2007, never had any issues with springs, or suspension overall, it has around 100k miles now, and I doubt European roads are much better than yours...

Sent from my Jiayu S3

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
Right front spring broke last year at 135K miles. Can't really complain. I replaced both front springs and struts. Also replaced the rear control arms because they were badly rusted and looked like swiss cheese and upgraded to 7 passenger springs.

·
Registered
Rondo 2007
1 Posts
Another broken spring..

Just joined this forum and spotted the spring thread. I had also broken spring at 82k miles, front left, on my rondo 2007. Replaced both springs and struts as recommended by repair guy. Strange thing is that it broke at parking lot, car was not moving, parked for about an hour and I just got in to go home. Then louuud baang .... I am in Michigan also but the roads I am driving are not so bad.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sportage
16 Posts
This just happened to me also at 88k, front right. Car is still sitting in the drive as there is no hurry to get it fixed for my 17 year old son as he had surgery on his leg recently and isn't driving anywhere. I had the driver's side done about 4 months ago.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts