Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage 2WD 4Cyl
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after replacing my radiator that exploded in August (after it actually overheated on a steep hill), the new one has taken a fall too.

Driving local, about to merge onto the freeway, I come to a stop at a red light, change the channel on the radio, and see smoke creeping out of my hood..

Immediatelly pull into the street before the fwy merge, and pop the hood.
Coolant everywhere.
No cracked radiator, no cracked hoses, nothing out of the ordinary, look under the radiator... very large sized puddle. :mellow:
Try to see where it's coming from, really can't tell.

I end up driving it home in quarter mile increments (longest 8 miles, ever) before I would have to pull over and let it cool down again.

My battery was on it's last legs; so the heater on (to pull heat from coolant), and hazards wore it down; and it died with 1.5 miles to go.
Good thing my jumpstarter was in the back; jumped it and sped off to my next quarter mile.

Upon initial inspection in the driveway, looks like 2 fan blades SNAPPED off, may have cracked the radiator, and that's where the leaks look like are coming from.
Not sure as I haven't pulled a single bolt; but it will be seeing a shop tomorrow.

ACTUAL question...
How is it that the fan blade snapped off and pierced the radiator?
I didn't hear or see anything happen prior to this.. I also don't recall ever seeing it being recommended to replace the fan every xxx miles.. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1999 Sportage A/T 4WD
988 Posts
I had already heard of that to happen with Sportage, I do not remember if it was on this forum or on an Italian forum.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Galf is right, Greetings and good memory on Sportage history.. :)

There was a service campaign on fan blades for later model year 1st gen Sportages, see link below:

Kia Sportage EX: 2002 kia sportage - AC will not blow as cold - JustAnswer

--
re: Bulletin states '01-'02 MY only:

Found the same issue on the '00 Sporty's fan blade assembly - severe stress cracking where the fan blades meet the base. (*That may have been due to previous owner replacing fan/clutch assembly w/ an '01/'02 unit, I dunno, bought vehicle used..) Another reason I converted to electric fan.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the recall still being offered today? Makes me wonder if I pulled in and showed them if they would replace it; or even the radiator as that was the reason it was pierced?

·
Registered
'02 Sportage 2 door.
339 Posts
You can call a dealer and give them the VIN and they can tell you if there are any open recalls on your sportage.

As for the recall time line I believe it depends on if it was a voluntary (done by KIA) or federal recall.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
Is the recall still being offered today? Makes me wonder if I pulled in and showed them if they would replace it; or even the radiator as that was the reason it was pierced?
Give me the last 8 of your vin#. I'll run it for you. If the recall has been done already, Kia won't do it a 2nd time. You might be lucky.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, the closest one is a solid 20-30 minutes away, so I hope they're not going to make me drive it in.

Cobra, I pm'd ya.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
There are no open recalls on your Sportage. Must have been done allready the good news is the fan blade is cheap. $32.00 list price form any Kia dealership. the recall part # is 0K038-15142QQK. I can sell you one if you like for a few bucks cheaper, plus shipping.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts