Kia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2005 2.5L CRDi 103kw
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Another issue recently happened to my 2005 Sorento, discovered few days ago rear driver side sway bar end link was just hanging there - braked off from the frame ... it was quite close to tire so i just had to brake it off from ball joint.

Is it safe to drive with partial stabilizer (sway bar) i read that to drive deep corners then have to be cautious - reduce speed to avoid body roll or is it just a overall safety measure?

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,015 Posts
I would not drive that vehicle and definitely wouldn't allow my loved ones to travel in it - it is structurally unsafe.

The severe corrosion has compromised the structure.

If you were involved in an accident, and it was found that you were aware of the safety issue, you could be held criminally liable.

·
Diesel Pro
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
2,007 Posts
To answer your specific question re 'partial' sway bar - NO. [It is worth noting that OFF-ROAD users will remove the WHOLE sway bar assembly to provide greater extension on the suspension or install removable links and/or straps that can be quickly adjusted to allow required suspension movement/restraint.]
Unfortunately, you are faced with the more onerous task of examining carefully the rear chassis/axle suspension components for other corrosion damage. Particularly: axle mounting points for control arms; spring platforms; Chassis tubes which connect left and right chassis rails above and forward of the axle. [The latter are hollow(!) and can be seen from within the wheel arch. This allows water & c*@* to accumulate within the tube.]

As (I believe) you are in Estonia I don't know if your vehicle was covered by the European service campaign for remedial action on the axle mountings. The sway bar mountings have never been raised, as an issue, before to my knowledge.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,771 Posts
To be blunt, your Frame is RUSTED vary badly!!!
Unsafe to drive!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts