Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
03 Kia Rio Cinco
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The belt that seems to operate the water pump in my 03 Kia Rio Cinco broke today. I drove about 20 miles and realized that the car was running hot. It looked like some water or did spray on the engine. I was wondering if normally everything will work properly once the belt is replaced? The car was sitting for a week, at home in central IL, while I was on a vacation. I'm not sure if any more information is needed.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
All you can do is replace the belt, refill with coolant and drive carefully to see what happens. Do you have a temperature gauge? If not, how do you monitor engine temperature?

·
Registered
03 Kia Rio Cinco
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I do have a temperature gauge. I pulled over immediately after seeing that it read hot. Besides the belt breaking, I'm not really sure what else could of gone wrong. The broken belt was the only thing that was able to be seen wrong, I did notice that the radiator was still full. This morning, when I first started the car since I parked it a week ago, there was an awful squeal, but there has been a squealing for a few months so I just figured its being louder due to it being being cold due to sitting so long. I figured that the squeal noise was a belt that I planned on replacing in another 10,000 miles when it was time to change the Timing Belt again. Also when it started squealing today a little smoke or something came out of a little intake hole next to a filter.

·
Registered
03 Kia Rio Cinco
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, can somebody tell me what all of the belts in the car operates. My car is an 03 Kia Rio cinco, Automatic Transmission, with A/C, it's 1.5L. I'm not sure, but I think the belt that broke possible ran the alternator too, because after the loud squealing episode today, the I think the battery light on the dash was lit, I couldn't really tell because it was really dim. I'm hoping that the belt that broke wasn't the timing belt, with all of the timing belt horror stories on here, but if it was, besides the car overheating and the battery light on the dash being dimly lit, it seemed to drive great today.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Squealing could be either a dry belt or a bearing that is failing. e.g. water pump bearing could be stiff thus causing belt to fail.

Timing belt is inside engine and not easily replaced. Needs replacing at intervals (e.g. 60,000 miles). If engine is basically operating OK, the timing belt is OK.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul+, Kia Sportage SX FWD
472 Posts
I believe it is alternator/water pump/crankshaft pulley(one belt)....and power steering /A?C compressor/crankshaft pulley(other belt).
If you drove 20 miles hot, you are probably looking at a head gasket. If the alternator belt/water pump belt broke you were not circulating water through the engine and radiator, and you were not charging the battery. Batteries are easily recharged or replaced. Engines do NOT like being overheated....and are much more labor and expense to repair.
Always check the oil for any indication water got into it, after overheating. If oil looks okay (it will have a miky look if it has water in it) and is proper level, and there is coolant in the radiator, start the engine(assuming you,ve changed the belt) and monitor its operation. If oil level is high, look closely at the lower part of dipstick and make sure there is no coolant on it. If you blew a head gasket and then left the car parked it could have lost coolant into the oil pan (increasing oil level on stick), but the higher level is from water (heavier than oil) in bottom of pan.!! If you start the engine with this water level it will quickly destroy the main and rod bearings in seconds. If unsure, drain the pan, and make sure o coolant is present. It only holds 3 quarts. Once running, Check the alternator charging voltage (is it 14V while running?). Watch the coolant temp as it warms up and then drive it around a bit to ensure it doesn't overheat or start blowing coolant out the overflow. Have the battery load tested.
Do not neglect the timing belt. If it breaks or slips it will destroy the engine! I advise never to wait beyond 60-70K miles. These little engines are prone to losing timing belts.
Good luck.

·
Registered
03 Kia Rio Cinco
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I am pretty good at keeping an eye on the gauges, so I'm sure it just got hot when I pulled over, so I'm hoping for the best. Thanks for the info and advise.

·
Registered
03 Kia Rio Cinco
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I heard from the repair shop and the alternator seized up, and that's what they believed caused the belt to break. I did locate an alternator from a salvage yard for $60. The mechanic said that everything else seems to be operating fine. So hopefully, I'll be back on the road tomorrow.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul+, Kia Sportage SX FWD
472 Posts
Congrats! Looks like you got lucky and were smart and shut her down as soon as you noticed the overheating. Good luck to you in the future!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts