Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Soul + automatic
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

I am picking up my Soul tomorrow. Don't have time to do a lot of research.

Will be driving it about 50 freeway miles home.

Any tips?

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,967 Posts
just enjoy it and take it easy for about the 1st 500 miles and read the owners manual and congrats on the new Soul.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Freeway is just right for a new car. Vary the engine speed a bit. Normal recommendation is to keep RPM between 2000 and 4000 for the first 1000 miles and don't drive it either too hard or too gentle. Check for any sign of overheating, and check oil/water etc. fairly often.

·
Registered
2012 Soul + automatic
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I got this from the manual.

No special break-in period is needed. By following a few simple precautions for the first 1000 km (600 miles) you may add to the performance, economy and life of your vehicle.
- do not race the engine
- while driving, keep your engine speed between 2000 and 4000 rpm
- do not maintain a single speed for long periods of time, either fast or slow. Varying engine speed is needed to properly break-in the engine
- avoid hard stops, except in emergencies, to allow the brakes to seat properly
- don't let the engine idle longer than 3 minutes at one time
- don't tow a trailer during the first 2000 km or 1200 miles.

It is funny that it says, "No special break-in period is needed.", then in so many words creates restrictions which sounds like a break in period.

The only thing I don't quite understand is.

- while driving, keep your engine speed between 2000 and 4000 rpm
Isn't this difficult to do? How exactly is this done? What mph is between those two numbers?

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
Isn't this difficult to do? How exactly is this done? What mph is between those two numbers?
just look at the tach and compare it to the mph, just asking you to fluctuate the speed so its not constant.

90 kmph = 2000 rpm (56 mph)
100 kmph = 2200 rpm (62 mph)
110 kmph = 2400 rpm (68 mph)

you can also use the manual shift of the auto to further change the rpm if you wish.

·
Registered
2012 Soul + automatic
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just look at the tach and compare it to the mph, just asking you to fluctuate the speed so its not constant.

100 kmph = 2200 rpm (62 mph)
110 kmph = 2400 rpm (68 mph)

you can also use the manual shift of the auto to further change the rpm if you wish.
Great idea.

Are you saying use the manual shift while the car is moving? Is that safe for the engine?

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,805 Posts
180 kmph = 4000 rpm (112 mph)

:)

Are you saying use the manual shift while the car is moving? Is that safe for the engine?
It is safe, but I heard not recommended. The transmission learns how you drive. It learns/adapts to your style. Hence, manual shifting can mess it up a little.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Great idea.

Some of the very early km for our car was city driving, so I used manual to keep RPM around 2000 (4th & 5th gear).

Provided you keep the engine RPM in the recommended zone, it's perfectly safe for the engine. Gives you a chance to get used to the manual mode, and to check that the controls for this are working OK. In normal driving, you hardly ever need the manual mode, but it's nice to have it for downhill braking etc.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
So I got this from the manual.

It is funny that it says, "No special break-in period is needed.", then in so many words creates restrictions which sounds like a break in period.
They are referring to the old days when engines were filled with special "break-in" oil and you were restricted to certain speed limits and had to change the oil fairly early. These days, engines are manufactured to tighter specifications and the "break-in" regime is fairly relaxed and the initial fill of oil is good for 7500 miles or more. It's more of a precautionary measure rather than a strict requirement, after all, 4000 RPM is good for nearly 200km/h!

More traditional equipment may still need an old-style break-in. The instructions for my (cheap) air compressor called for a 10-minute break-in with the tank open to the atmosphere, followed by an oil change, before pumping up to pressure for the first time.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
Great idea.

answering you on the two forums :D, but those figures I gave above are in 6th gear, so if you used the manual shift and dropped it to 5th for example the rpm would increase.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don't wait until 7500 miles to change the oil.
Fresh oil does wonders to a just broken in engine.
I changed all my new vehicles at 1-2k. For around $30
It is a good investment in the life of your engine.
My $.02 worth

1 - 11 of 11 Posts