Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to run some wires from my after-market fog lights through the firewall. I understand that the plastic diamond shaped piece (a.k.a "clutch knockout plate") might be a way through.

I'm an amateur but I'm also cautious. I attempted to pull it off but...man...it is ON there! I used quite a bit of force but reached an uncomfortable zone.

I was wondering if other folks have pierced through this and how they did it. Can I simply drill a hole in it or does it come off? How do I get it off...do I push it from the other side?

Also, on the opposite side of the plate (inside the vehicle), is a 4" by 1" silver box with wires plugged into it. It bolts on to the firewall. It seems like thats about where my wires will be coming through. It has 2 bolts keeping it on...do I need to remove that as well?

Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
16 Posts
YES THIS IS WHERE I WENT THROUGH ON MINE. I USED A DRILL WITH A LONG BIT AND MADE A HOLE ABOUT 1/4 INCH IN DIAMETER. USE CAUTION WHEN YOU POKE THROUGH, THE BOX YOU MENTIONED ON THE INSIDE IS CLEAR OF THE HOLE BUT I MADE MINE AS FAR RIGHT AND A HIGH AS I COULD TO BE SURE I CLEARED THE UNIT. ALSO WHEN YOU GET THROUGH YOU CAN MAKE IT LARGER ONCE YOU SEE HOW MUCH CLEARENCE YOU HAVE. GO LIGHTLY THROUGH THE PLASTIC JUST TO BE SAFE, IF YOU HIT SOMETHING (WHICH YOU SHOULDN'T) YOU CAN BACK IT UP WITHOUT DAMAGE. ONCE YOU RUN YOUR WIRES DONT FORGET TO RE PLUG THE HOLE SO MOISTURE WONT GET IN. i USED WHAT WE CALL "DUM DUM" ITS KIND OF A RUBBERISH PUDDY THAT SEALS AROUND THE WIRES.
I HOPE THIS HELPS! ;)

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: You were absolutely on-target Coach! I followed your intructions to the T and it worked like a champ! Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts