Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sorento Hybrid EX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty bitter sweet. We had been looking a the 2021 Sorento Hybrid EX for a while. Went in a few months ago to look at them and decided its what we wanted. Honestly never thought i would want a KIA but they have really stepped up the last couple years. Took a couple months to sell our old Subaru but we finally made it happen!

Put a deposit on our Gravity Blue EX Hybrid and just picked it up last night.

Well I already had to take it back into the service department because the light that i thought meant it was sensing the water bottle in my passenger seat on the ride home was actually the SRS light. (obviously looked it up once i had gotten home). Called the service rep and he said to bring it back in the morning.

I checked the codes in the convenient app and turns out I the following codes:
B1478 - Inflatable curtain airbag Front passenger resistance too low
B1620 - Internal Fault Replace SRSCM

So now it's sitting at the dealer to hopefully be figured out. Dropped it back off at about 9:30 this morning and was told it could be an all day project at least because they have to open an inquiry with KIA and all that Jazz.

Love the car and super excited but this kinda has me worried.

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
25 Posts
They’ll figure it out and you’ll be good I’m sure. Could be something dumb like a tiny sensor that checks pressure on the bag and sends into the SRSCM

·
Registered
2021 Sorento EX T-GDI
69 Posts
working on airplanes I frequently have parts that break again very quickly or show up not working. Glad it seems to be minor. Wiring or connector issue perhaps.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento Hybrid EX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They’ll figure it out and you’ll be good I’m sure. Could be something dumb like a tiny sensor that checks pressure on the bag and sends into the SRSCM
Well they're keeping the car until next week (at least). They said normally they just reset the codes and its good but because its brand new they are going to replace the system. I assume this is to probably cover their asses from a Lemon Law incident on the off chance that the lights came back on after they returned it to me.

They told me to come down and they'll hook me up with a rental. I proceed to head down after work and then am asked if I got the car on insurance yet because they cant give me a rental unless the car is insured. I of course hadn't yet but tried explaining that i personally am still insured but apparently that didn't matter. Why couldn't they tell me this on the phone, instead of my ride and I wasting an hour each direction.

So now I get to go back after work today with proof that the car is insured.

I know its not anyones fault and it'll all get taken care of, i'm just frustrated. The purpose of buying a new car is to avoid this kind of headache. It'll all be worth it though in a week or so. The 42 MPG i got on the drive back to the dealer the next morning is definitely something i'm looking forward to again and then having the car pretty much driving itself the whole way through the stop and go traffic was also pretty nice.

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
25 Posts
Well they're keeping the car until next week (at least). They said normally they just reset the codes and its good but because its brand new they are going to replace the system. I assume this is to probably cover their asses from a Lemon Law incident on the off chance that the lights came back on after they returned it to me.

They told me to come down and they'll hook me up with a rental. I proceed to head down after work and then am asked if I got the car on insurance yet because they cant give me a rental unless the car is insured. I of course hadn't yet but tried explaining that i personally am still insured but apparently that didn't matter. Why couldn't they tell me this on the phone, instead of my ride and I wasting an hour each direction.

So now I get to go back after work today with proof that the car is insured.

I know its not anyones fault and it'll all get taken care of, i'm just frustrated. The purpose of buying a new car is to avoid this kind of headache. It'll all be worth it though in a week or so. The 42 MPG i got on the drive back to the dealer the next morning is definitely something i'm looking forward to again and then having the car pretty much driving itself the whole way through the stop and go traffic was also pretty nice.
They let you drive the hybrid off the lot without proof of insurance? Unheard of in Mass.

You're right though, they are absolutely going overkill on this to prevent a manufacturer buyback case. Hopefully they give you pick of the litter with your loaner for the next week or two!

·
Registered
2021 Sorento Hybrid EX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They let you drive the hybrid off the lot without proof of insurance? Unheard of in Mass.

You're right though, they are absolutely going overkill on this to prevent a manufacturer buyback case. Hopefully they give you pick of the litter with your loaner for the next week or two!
Its required to show proof of insurance to drive off the lot in California as well. I supplied them with my insurance policy when buying the car and they photo copied it and everything but I guess to get a loaner with them the vehicle i brought in has to be on a policy. which make sense. Cars have to be added to your existing policy within a handful of days so by the time any cars come in needing service they should all be on a policy. I just hadn't had the chance to do that as i rolled off the lot at 9PM and brought it back at 9AM.

Seems they are gonna hook it up with the rental. Though first the lady wasn't going to even try to get me a rental because they stop handing them out at 4:30. I then got the service manager thats helping me and he told them to get me a car and to get me in something new.

·
Registered
2021 KIA Sorento SX XLINE Glacial White Pearl
94 Posts
Proof of insurance is the norm. Buying, loaning doesn't matter. Usually you can just call your insurance company or put it up on your phone. So if you had totaled your car you would of been screwed.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento Hybrid EX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Proof of insurance is the norm. Buying, loaning doesn't matter. Usually you can just call your insurance company or put it up on your phone. So if you had totaled your car you would of been screwed.
I gave them proof of insurance from my current policy. Most insurance companies give you a grace period of around 2 days or even up to 30 days to add your new vehicle to the policy. If something happens in that grace period before you add the car to the policy you're still covered.

·
Registered
2021 KIA Sorento SX XLINE Glacial White Pearl
94 Posts
I gave them proof of insurance from my current policy. Most insurance companies give you a grace period of around 2 days or even up to 30 days to add your new vehicle to the policy. If something happens in that grace period before you add the car to the policy you're still covered.
And they wouldn't honor the proof of the insurance you had ? In Texas they used proof of my current insurance but the last time I had already prepo the insurance just had to activate it with a click on the app.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts