Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sedona
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a brand-new, 2019 Kia Sedona. Within a few weeks (about 400 miles on the car total), the check engine light came on for an evap leak. Took it to the dealership and they were not worried, said it's extremely common and probably due to "air in the tank" from the last time I filled up. They tightened the gas cap and cleared the light. One day later, the light is back on. So, what should I do? I don't really want to keep scheduling appointments at the dealership if they are just going to clear the light and say there's no problem. Could the gas cap be faulty? Is the sensor bad? Is there actually a leak in a car with 400 miles on it? My plan was to finish off this tank of gas, fill up at a different station and see if the light goes off. Any other suggestions? This is pretty annoying with a brand-new vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,934 Posts
I just bought a brand-new, 2019 Kia Sedona. Within a few weeks (about 400 miles on the car total), the check engine light came on for an evap leak. Took it to the dealership and they were not worried, said it's extremely common and probably due to "air in the tank" from the last time I filled up. They tightened the gas cap and cleared the light. One day later, the light is back on. So, what should I do? I don't really want to keep scheduling appointments at the dealership if they are just going to clear the light and say there's no problem. Could the gas cap be faulty? Is the sensor bad? Is there actually a leak in a car with 400 miles on it? My plan was to finish off this tank of gas, fill up at a different station and see if the light goes off. Any other suggestions? This is pretty annoying with a brand-new vehicle.
The Evap code can occasionally be triggered by a loose gas cap, but if its happening repeatedly Kia needs to resolve it.

·
Registered
'15 Kia Sedona SX
103 Posts
Potential symptoms of an [actual] EVAP Leak
● Trouble starting the engine
● Bad fuel economy
● Rough idling
● Overall drop in engine performance

If not the gas cap, then maybe:
● Faulty O-ring seals
● Defective leak detection pumps
● An inoperative purge valve
● A leaking vacuum hose or vent
● Leaks in the EVAP canister
● Breakage or leakage somewhere else in the system

All of which would be under warranty. The time suck sucks, though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts