Kia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Mazda 3 GX sport, 08 Nissn Quest SL, 10 Nissan Altima SL
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2012 KIA Rio sedan SX with just 1,200 Kms on it. Lately I have noticed that carbon is coming out from the tail pipe and it sits on the white rear bumper like a powder.. The chrome tail pipe is also black. It is giving around 8.5/100 Kms in city driving which is not close to its 6.9/100 Kms rating. Just wondering if this is normal or some thing to worry about. Any update on new UVO2? Will we get an upgrade once it is available or will it only be for 2013 models onward. Some info and advise on these issues will be highly appreciable

·
Registered
2007 Kia Magentis LX
156 Posts
is it a manual transmission ?

are you using the engine / tranny for compression braking ?

normal for the inside of the tailpipe to get somewhat dirty.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio EX 6M 5-door
80 Posts

2012 sx is auto only

Your fuel consumption sounds about the same as mine when i had those km. Though mine seems to be better now that i have 4k. at 110km/h on the highway the readout was averaging 5.7l/100km on the flats with no winds. First time its gotten that low and it made me smile. And my in town is better too now at a consistent 7.3l/100km and there is a lot of stop and go here. I have a manual.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

It is automatic and I don't use engine or tranny help for braking. I called my dealer and they said that it is normal which doesn't sound right to me. Had owned few brand new vehicles in the past but never noticed this in any of them. What about the fuel consumption? Will it improve or it is somewhat linked with this carbon throwing.

Thanks

·
Registered
12 RIO 5 SX, 07 VW Passat 2.0L turbo 1952 Siata Diana
168 Posts
The old school thought the tailpipe should show a powdery light brown color when the engine was in perfect tune. This no longer seems the case. Most new cars tailpipes show a black residue. When it splatters onto the bumper it suggests too rich a mixture. A defective O2 sensor could be constantly in its cold loop which enriches the mixture for a cold engine. However, this would set a trouble code. Your dealer should run a scan to see what is going on in your engine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
2012 sx is auto only

Your fuel consumption sounds about the same as mine when i had those km. Though mine seems to be better now that i have 4k. at 110km/h on the highway the readout was averaging 5.7l/100km on the flats with no winds. First time its gotten that low and it made me smile. And my in town is better too now at a consistent 7.3l/100km and there is a lot of stop and go here. I have a manual.
Update

After rounding 2K on it the consumption has dropped down to 7.2l/100 Kms (consistent) with all city driving which is not bad at all. Hope it will get little bit more better with the time touching 6.9l/100 Kms as Kia claims. The carbon coming out from the tail pipe has also vanished. Planning the first oil change at 3K with full synthetic as I am quite impressed with the performance of synthetic oil ever since I switched it into my 2008 Nissan Quest

So far so good.. I am very happy with my new Rio SX performance and enjoying all the bells & whistles which came with it like Rain sensing WS, UVO, Heated steering (It will be a blessing in cold Calgary winters where it can drop down to -35C easily), Cooled glove compartment, four wheel disc brakes and not to mention the comfy ride and the suspension. I can not even feel that I am driving a so called sub compact car. Anxiously waiting for the UVO2 availability this fall

By bringing these new luxury options into Rio, KIA has totally transformed and setup a new industry standard in this segment.

Which competitor can meet or come close to it in this price range...

Way to go KIA

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio EX 6M 5-door
80 Posts
Update

After rounding 2K on it the consumption has dropped down to 7.2l/100 Kms (consistent) with all city driving which is not bad at all. Hope it will get little bit more better with the time touching 6.9l/100 Kms as Kia claims. The carbon coming out from the tail pipe has also vanished. Planning the first oil change at 3K with full synthetic (I am quite impressed with the performance of synthetic oil ever since I switched it into my 2008 Nissan Quest SL)

So far so good.. I am very happy with my new Rio SX performance and enjoying all the perks which came with it like Rain sensing WS, UVO, Heated steering (have to wait till winter to test it fully but for sure it will be a blessing in cold Calgary winters where it can drop to -35C), Cooled glove compartment, four wheel disc brakes and not to mention the comfy ride and the suspension. I can not even feel that I am driving a small car. Anxiously waiting for the UVO2 availability this fall

By bringing these new luxury options into Rio, KIA has totally changed and setup a new industry standard in this segment.

Which competitor will meet or come close to this in this price range...

Way to go KIA
now that the weather is warm here in alberta, i just finished a tank of city driving at 6.2l/100km. I beat the sticker figures. Im going for a 1400km road trip next week and will update the highway figures

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
now that the weather is warm here in alberta, i just finished a tank of city driving at 6.2l/100km. I beat the sticker figures. Im going for a 1400km road trip next week and will update the highway figures
This info is more heartening. All the best for your trip. Do post your info on return

·
Registered
2012 Optoma Hybrid (Light graphite)
169 Posts
I have 4828 km/ 3000 miles on my RIO now. Mixed city and hwy driving is 6.27 L/100km or 37.5 mpg on avg. Highway, I'm at 5.91 L/100km or 39.8 mpg . It's been as high as 40.2 mpg or 5.85 L/100km.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
415 Posts
I have 4828 km/ 3000 miles on my RIO now. Mixed city and hwy driving is 6.27 L/100km or 37.5 mpg on avg. Highway, I'm at 5.91 L/100km or 39.8 mpg . It's been as high as 40.2 mpg or 5.85 L/100km.
wow, those numbers look good!

is that based on calculating km's driven vs. liters used, or based on the digital readout? I find my readout it optimistic by about 1 l/100km vs. actual consumption.

I have about 2500 km on my rio and i am actually averaging 8.35 l/100km, i'm hoping it will get better... just got my first oil change on the off chance that the engine has some particles in it when new... see if that helps at all....

·
Registered
169 Posts
wow, those numbers look good!

is that based on calculating km's driven vs. liters used, or based on the digital readout? I find my readout it optimistic by about 1 l/100km vs. actual consumption.

I have about 2500 km on my rio and i am actually averaging 8.35 l/100km, I'm hoping it will get better... just got my first oil change on the off chance that the engine has some particles in it when new... see if that helps at all....
That's mainly based off digital readout. I've manually done the calculations and it still has me at 37.5 mpg or 6.27L/100km on average. In a 3 day period I drive at least 362 km/225 miles. I use 1 U.S. gallon driving one way to work. Work is exactly 37.5 miles or 60.35 km from my front door to KMMG's(Kia Motors Manufacturing Georgia) parking lot. It takes 6.4 U.S. gallons to fill the tank completely after 3 days of driving. The .4 gallon or 1.5 liters is for my off the route driving to the park for exercise or local errands. If I take the errand running / park driving into account I'm at 35 mpg. This is still 2 mpg better than the stated average on the dealer sticker.

My trip computer is roughly 2.5 mpg/1.06 km per liter off from my manual calculations. The trip computer consistently hits 40 mpg/ 5.88 L/100km or slightly better if I stay on my normal route.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
i'm looking forward to putting some more KM on our Rio. It's currently sitting on 1530KM and the fuel economy is definitely higher than some people here. On a recent road trip it did 6.7/100 which while not bad, hopefully will drop to around 6. In start-stop bad peak hour traffic which it does every day, it gets in the mid to high 8's, so some of you have nothing to complain about! lol

edit: just checked and the average is on 9.0L/100KM at the moment. Most of the time it's got two of us in it also, and we like to rev a little higher than the computer thinks we should.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah I'm confident if I drove at the gas saving 55 mph/ 88.5139 kph. The numbers would be much better. I average 70/75 mph or 112.65 kilometers per hour on hwy and 60 mph or 96.5606 kph on the back roads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts