Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage AWD EX w/ Premium................. 2012 Kia Rio SX w/ Premium
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the Rio sits overnight, especially when it rains or is damp, I release the parking brake and the car will not move. I need to give it a little gas, then I hear a slight thud and the car drives as normal. Does not happen every single time. I make sure the parking brake is not stuck when driving and it seems it is not....no warning light, no sounds, car does not seem "bogged down". What can this be? Thanks

·
Registered
Tanz. Blue 2012 Rio Sedan,Al White 2013 Toyota PriusV
384 Posts
Coult be rust build-up or just waterbuild up on brakes and rotors. This happens when I wash the car all the time, right after its wet I drive and theres a large thud when brake pads create friction between the rotors to clean off water/rust then its fine afterwards.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Coult be rust build-up or just waterbuild up on brakes and rotors. This happens when I wash the car all the time, right after its wet I drive and theres a large thud when brake pads create friction between the rotors to clean off water/rust then its fine afterwards.
Same here. Dealer cleaned the brakes but as soon as it rains and I park the car in my heated garage, next morning I hear like a scratching noise coming from the brakes. So I guess it's very "Rio".

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
407 Posts
this happens to me if i leave the car for a few days, even if the parking brake is not engaged. so it appears that the regular brakes clamp down on the rotors when the car is in park, if they weren't engaged they i can't see why they would stick...
seems strange no? i have a feeling my brakes are going to wear out faster than they should....

·
Registered
Tanz. Blue 2012 Rio Sedan,Al White 2013 Toyota PriusV
384 Posts
this happens to me if i leave the car for a few days, even if the parking brake is not engaged. so it appears that the regular brakes clamp down on the rotors when the car is in park, if they weren't engaged they i can't see why they would stick...
seems strange no? i have a feeling my brakes are going to wear out faster than they should....
This happens on all cars unless you have ceramic rotors/brake setup. It will rust build up because that part is constantly being rubbed against the pads its not rust protected, but it comes off right after you brake for a bit and becomes nice and shiny again.

It is not irregular

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
407 Posts
This happens on all cars unless you have ceramic rotors/brake setup. It will rust build up because that part is constantly being rubbed against the pads its not rust protected, but it comes off right after you brake for a bit and becomes nice and shiny again.

It is not irregular
it makes sense to me that if the parking brake is clamped down on the rotors, that it would seize and would need to be "broken" before the car will roll, but i didn't think that the regular brakes were clamped down when the car was in park... i assume you mean that they are...
it is strange, because i have only seen this "seizing" on any other cars that i have owned, if the parking brake was engaged while the car was sitting for a while, but NEVER if the parking brake was NOT engaged....
oh well, guess they have changed the new cars to engage the regular brakes when you put them in park, saves the parking pawl i guess....

·
Registered
NA V, K3
259 Posts
It happens all the time with my e brake in the same circumstance as you describe. The thud part. I left my car for a couple months one time...to get that thing going I had to give it a lot of gas. It was a weird feeling, but I knew it would do that.

Any scraping/scratching is the pads removing the rust build up on the discs.

NO NEED TO PANIC! NORMAL!

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
407 Posts
doesn't this mean that the regular driving brakes are clamping down on the rotors when in park? that doesn't seem to be my experience with any other model car. only parking brakes would seize after rain if manually engaged.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts