Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento V6 AWD 2011
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

It is time on my sorento 2011 to replace brakes and i would like to know if there is really good aftermarket brakes i can get. The original are too pricey, dealership is asking about $600 installed just for the front, which is really expensive i beleive, everybody tells me i can replace all 4 of the them with better parts gor this price.

I need a suggestion if somebody already installed aftermarket ones, what brand, price and performance. I heard i can get ceramic ones as well....
Some say i should use original parts..

need opinion...

·
Registered
2010 Ford F-150 STX 4x4, 2011 KIA Sorento EX 3.5L AWD
2 Posts
I've used autozone's duralast brake pads and rotors on my last 3 vehicles with equal or better performance then stock. They are usually cheaper then oem brakes. I've used them on my old Pontiac Grand prix, Nissan Altima, and now on my F-150. They will probably also go on our 2011 Sorento when they are due to be changed. However i've only used one set of rotors by duralast, which were on the Grand Prix.

hope this helps,

Q.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
Hey guys,

It is time on my sorento 2011 to replace brakes and i would like to know if there is really good aftermarket brakes i can get. The original are too pricey, dealership is asking about $600 installed just for the front, which is really expensive i beleive, everybody tells me i can replace all 4 of the them with better parts gor this price.

I need a suggestion if somebody already installed aftermarket ones, what brand, price and performance. I heard i can get ceramic ones as well....

need opinion...
$600 just for front is ridiculous, as long as there just changing the pads. A lot of times ive found they will include a lot of extra services in with it that you might not really need that adds to the cost. Was it the labor or the parts that were so pricey did you ask? You can also buy the parts yourself and have them install them usually. Next time call a few diff places and compare and then take those prices back to your dealer and try to negotiate.

·
Registered
263 Posts
$600 is too much for new brakes. I can offer you brand new brake at a great price! I'm also a vendor on here so I'd be glad to help you out.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX V6
40 Posts
Just curious. How many miles on your Sorento. $600 is way too much where I live. I wonder if you are sure you NEED brakes or is the dealer trying to sell you something you don't need.:confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Some preparation points.
just be sure you've got everything ready to go before you remove your old brake pads. Most important, be sure safety is at the front of your mind. You'll be taking the wheel off so be sure you have your car jacked up and resting securely on jackstands.

Go ahead and break the lugs before you jack it up. It's much easier and safer with the wheel on the ground.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
If you're going to do the job yourself, I wouldn't expect to pay more than approximately $240 + shipping for quality Raybestos rotors and pads for front and rear. Fronts only would be closer to $130 (rotors+pads). So a $600 quote for just the front is beyond expensive and into the "they're ripping you off" category. Doing the front brakes is about a 30 minute job if you've got a lift and you're loafing.

I got the prices from rockauto.com. Stick with name brand parts. It's tempting to dip into the "economy" parts, but they're mostly made in China and you'll kick yourself later when the rotors warp and the pads squeal.

Good luck.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,483 Posts
Also as a DIYer be sure to take only one caliper apart at a time. That way you have a reference to check if you have any questions. Pictures also help.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
I've used autozone's duralast brake pads and rotors on my last 3 vehicles with equal or better performance then stock. They are usually cheaper then oem brakes. I've used them on my old Pontiac Grand prix, Nissan Altima, and now on my F-150. They will probably also go on our 2011 Sorento when they are due to be changed. However i've only used one set of rotors by duralast, which were on the Grand Prix.

hope this helps,

Q.
I agree, I've used Auto Zone's Duralast brakes also on my previous vehicles, and found they were better all around then stock, plus longer lasting, with negligble dust.

I can't say as much for NAPA's Best Gold pads. :rolleyes:

Good Luck, Mike

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I agree, I've used Auto Zone's Duralast brakes also on my previous vehicles, and found they were better all around then stock, plus longer lasting, with negligble dust.

I can't say as much for NAPA's Best Gold pads. :rolleyes:

Good Luck, Mike
I wouldn't use Autozone Duralast anything. It tends to be lowest bidder made in China junk...especially brake parts. Glad you like it, but it doesn't compare to name brand parts.

For background: My family owned a repair shop from the 1930's until a couple of years ago when my dad retired and I didn't want it...so we sold it. During the last couple of years, a local Autozone begged us to buy this crap and gave us a steep discount. So we tried it. Almost every job came back with complaints of rotor warping and/or brake squeal/fade. That ended our experiment after about 2-3 months of aggravation.

For grins, I put a couple of different Duralast rotors on our brake lathe and tried to true them. On 2 different rotors (different part numbers purchased at different times), I actually had chunks flake off during the milling process (like you had scooped them out of the flat surface with a small spoon). That's the only time I ever experienced that and I've probably milled 500+ rotors in my day.

Best,

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX V6
40 Posts
I have replaced pads myself many times and do not usually resurface or replace rotors unless they are scored or warped. I know there are different opinions on this, but I never had a problem.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I have replaced pads myself many times and do not usually resurface or replace rotors unless they are scored or warped. I know there are different opinions on this, but I never had a problem.
I know some people do this, but I don't recommend it. It's too much of a PITA for most DIY types to check the minimum rotor thickness and more times than not, you'll wind up with vibrations and brake squeal as the new flat pads try to seat into the uneven surface on the old rotor.

Best,

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
IMO, Me neither, and I've never had a problem. Of course I know it's the "redneck" way,,,lol, but why take the original temper out of the rotor if there's nothing wrong?

If it's a fairly new vehicle, you can be pretty sure the rotor has enough meat on it, it's not worn down too much. Besides, the yokel who is doing the machining, may make it worse.

Plus, a couple of days in rainy weather, and your rotors will build up a coating of rust to help you break them in as is.

Another thing, a lot of your big name brake companies are making brakes overseas now, so you can't depend on them being better because of their name anymore.

What we need is a fair independent rating system on brakes nowadays, like they do for tires. I'm sure these are just as important as tires, if not more so!

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX,Shelby Cobra GT500,'12 Nissan Sentra,'09 Ford Focus
123 Posts
Hey guys,

need opinion...
To bad you live so far I'd help you get them done, they're a BREEZE to change...find a WRENCHER in your area and get aftermarket from Canadian Tire or CarQuest, Rotors and CERAMIC Pads shouldn't cost you more than $150 - $200/per axle tops for a mid quality, if I'm not mistaken OE are Ceramic...check out link;

Front Brake Pads & Shoes, Rotors & Drums | Canadian Tire

You should take front and rear calipers and pads off every spring and fall to clean and lube SLIDES & PINS when you change over your tires summer to winter...your brakes will last twice as long when properly taken of, takes an extra 1/2 hour or so to do.

·
Registered
Sorento V6 AWD 2011
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
$600 is including labour, dealer price.

I was trying to call and order them separatelly from Dealership, for Rotors is $170 each and around $80 for brake pads. I have a friend who is a mechanic and he called them to ask with a discounted price and the best they can get them is like $20 off. Redicilous.

·
Registered
263 Posts
$600 is including labour, dealer price.

I was trying to call and order them separatelly from Dealership, for Rotors is $170 each and around $80 for brake pads. I have a friend who is a mechanic and he called them to ask with a discounted price and the best they can get them is like $20 off. Redicilous.
Those price are way to expensive. If you need new brake, just let me know and I'd be glad to help you out.

·
Registered
Sorento V6 AWD 2011
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just purchased Rotors and Brakes from Steve:
PosiQuiet Ceramic Pads
Premium slotted rotors
Everything with shipping to Canada $245

Will keep you posted on the result. Hope everything should be fine, if i like it i will buy for the rear one as well.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
Don't get hung up on "ceramic" in the brake pad description. Many pads have some percentage of ceramic material in them even if they aren't labeled as that. Buy the pads from a trusted maker where the total description of the pads best meets your needs. More: Brake Tech - Why Ceramic Brake Pads?

Temper in cast iron brake discs??? Yes, the discs are cast iron. If they are not appreciably grooved or worn down, they can be lightly sanded to remove any build up of pad material, cleaned with brake cleaner, and re used. Many discs are disposable, though--made thin to save weight (and cost) and soft to improve braking. If they're worn, recycle them at a scrap yard and buy new. By the way, most brake judder is not warped discs but is actually uneven deposits of brake pad material.
-Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths

Here's new brake break-in procedures:
Brake Pad Bed-In

Okies...I had a father-in-law who was an Okie, and he said that the great Okie migration to California in the '30s raised the I.Q. of both states. I'm from California.

·
Registered
Sorento V6 AWD 2011
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just purchased Rotors and Brakes from Steve:
PosiQuiet Ceramic Pads
Premium slotted rotors
Everything with shipping to Canada $245

Will keep you posted on the result. Hope everything should be fine, if i like it i will buy for the rear one as well.
Alright here is the update.
Received brakes and pads 3 days later, fast shipping, paid about $18 on taxes/duties. Installed them with local mechanic for $60, and here we go, works and looks great, my mechanic was impressed with he quality, no noise, smooth braking, cannot complain. So far so good, i will get the same set for the back as well close to spring time. So if anyone wants to save money use r1concepts, its tested now... BTW Ebay has thousands of positive feedback on this brand as well..
My Sorento has about 60,000 so original front brakes hold up pretty good for this distance, mechanic said heavier cars worn brake faster. My rear still has about 20% left.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts