Kia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2021 Kia Picanto G6S6K361BGGGDZ JA PE PICANTO GT LINE A/T MY21
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anybody else has experienced an issue whereby a Picanto (or any other Kia model for that matter) has shed an excessive amount of brake dust, causing the wheel rims to blacken far too prematurely.

The issue has been raised with a local Kia dealership, which has stated that nothing obvious has been identified, and blamed the probable cause on excessive braking. However the braking has been no more excessive than any other car I've driven. I'm talking wheel rims going black, after having been cleaned, again within about a week.

The Picanto in question is being taken back to the dealership on 13 Apr 2022, but thought I'd explore gathering some additional evidence or clues about possible causes in anticipation of being met with resistance.

· Registered
2011 Hyundai ix35 AWD CRDi
592 Posts
I can only offer some general driving experience but generally speaking if there's heaps of brake dust then it's the pad material used. You would expect OEM pads to be half decent and low dust. Having said that I've got some genuine Hyundai pads on the rear of my i40 and they're black with dust. I recently got rid of some Supercheap "Calibre " pads from the makers of "bendix" and they're rubbbish for dust also. I replaced the fornts second time around with OEM Hyundai and they're dust free. If the brakes are working normally, no faults with the calipers and the rotor surface is normal I can't see anything they can do really. There's been plenty of new cars with dusty pads.

You may have to make the choice and fit different pads or pad material.

Certainly seeing if any other Picantos around the same production times is not a bad idea.

· Registered
2019 Kia Niro ev
4 Posts
Wondering if anybody else has experienced an issue whereby a Picanto (or any other Kia model for that matter) has shed an excessive amount of brake dust, causing the wheel rims to blacken far too prematurely.

The issue has been raised with a local Kia dealership, which has stated that nothing obvious has been identified, and blamed the probable cause on excessive braking. However the braking has been no more excessive than any other car I've driven. I'm talking wheel rims going black, after having been cleaned, again within about a week.

The Picanto in question is being taken back to the dealership on 13 Apr 2022, but thought I'd explore gathering some additional evidence or clues about possible causes in anticipation of being met with resistance.
It may not be break dust but break fluid. Either way check your caliper sliders and make sure they do what they are suppose to (slide back and forth). Check your break line to make sure it's not wet. How does the break pedal feel when u step on it. Does it sink to the floor? If so you have a leak in your breaking system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts