Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The brakes seem squishy but seem to be working. Had the brakes checked and my pads and front rotor are fine as well as the drums in the back. He told me to take it in to Kia and I say "heck with that". He mentioned it might be that the brakes need to be bled but it also might be the Master Cylinder. My experience with Master Cylinders is that the pedal will go to the floor but you can build them back up by pumping them. I don't have that problem. They just seem to have a lot of play in them but engage close to the floor but never actually reach the floor even if I jam on them.

Any ideas would be great and if they need bleeding, what might by the proper method of bleeding them? :)

Thanks for your help... :57:

·
Registered
24 Posts
first thing, check your brake fluid, make sure its filled up, low fluid will cause this but will also cause the brakes to need bleeding.

way i always have done it and never had any troubles is simple, requires you and another person. have one in the car and other under at the bleed screw. person in car pumps the breaks slowly,(to fast may cause more air bubbles in lines). when pedal seems to as good as its gonna get, have them hold the pedal firmly, then slowly open the bleed screw, you will get air first if theres any in lines. if you get fluid at first, dont think your done, may be air behind a good amount of fluid.

after the pedal goes all the way to the floor, (with person still holding pedal down) tighten the bleed screw, then move to the other side and repeet. after your done with other side, fill the fluid up, then do the first side again. keep repeeting from side to side until you have all the air out and the pedal is where it should be. sounds like a long time but should only take about 15 minutes tops.

hope this helps :57:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had that problem with my 98 and was living with it. Then i decided that at the next pad change i'd change the fluid as well. Turns out that changing the fluid completely fixed the problem. Of course my brake fluid was black when i changed it so it was pretty used up. But it did fix the problem and as long as you dont let the resivoir get empty you wont get air in your lines. It does take two people though. I started at the back brakes and then did the front to clear out the long run to the rear brakes. Just bleed them untill clear fluid runs out. Think it took about an hour.

matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts