Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sedona LX
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mechanic just told me that at 45,600 miles, my rear brakes are very close to the limit. They passed inspection but barely. I just changed my front pads two months ago but they are so lousy that I am going to change those out as well. Word of wisdom, don't buy brake pads from Prime Choice...$21 sounds like a good price but they are AWFUL. When I am done, Big Blue will be sporting Brembo rotors and Akebono pads all the way around...not cheaping out this time.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Good choice. The brakes are without question the Sedona's weak spot.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sedona LX
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think most minivans are hard on brakes due to the weight. My dad had a GMC Safari and it went through pads and rotors quickly as well. It was also bad with tires, hopefully the Sedona is a bit more forgiving in that department.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
I go through a set of 80k rated tires every 40k miles. My LX still has original rotors at almost 240k, but it has been a freeway car its whole life. My EX is soon to have its 4th set of rotors at 200k.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sedona LX
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine was a rental car plus I drive mostly city, so I am definitely in need of an upgrade. I may end up going with Wearever Gold pads with Wearever rotors from Advance Auto Parts because they have a good warranty and will be about $120 cheaper.

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd SW, Hyundai i20, Nissan 240SX
497 Posts
I just saw this offer over at SD that might be of interest?

Wagner ThermoQuiet Brake Pads: Up to $30 Rebate with Purchase of Front/Back Brake Sets: Semi Metallic Disc Brake Pad Set $9 after $15 rebate & More
Source:Wagner ThermoQuiet Brake Pads

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sedona LX
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got Wearever rotors with a 2-year warranty and Wearever Gold ceramic pads with a lifetime warranty for all four wheels from AdvanceAutoParts.com for $263 shipped including a $25 off my next $50 purchase coupon. Not too shabby in my opinion.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sedona LX
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After about 7 hours worth of work, all four wheels have new brake pads and new rotors. Only hang-ups were stuck wheels, solved by a 10 pound sledgehammer, stuck rotor screws, solved by two hammers and some PB Blaster, and stuck rotors, solved by some long bolts threaded through the caliper brackets. All in all, not a bad job and I saved a butt ton of money doing it myself versus paying a garage to do the work. Big Blue is stopping smoothly and quietly...like it's brand new.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I got Wearever rotors with a 2-year warranty and Wearever Gold ceramic pads with a lifetime warranty for all four wheels from AdvanceAutoParts.com for $263 shipped including a $25 off my next $50 purchase coupon. Not too shabby in my opinion.

Was hoping you had gone with the BREMBO rotors (discs) as you mentioned in your opening post.

I'm looking for Front Brake Discs (rotors)...

BREMBO would be my first choice.

Regarding "lifetime warranty" pads from AdvanceAutoParts.com, AutoZone, etc.

Many years ago- it was a "lifetime" warranty in the sense if the pads worn out- you could exchange them.

Now it's "lifetime" in that they warrant the fiction material not to separate from the backing plate (EG MFG defect)

With the above said, at a certain price point "lifetime" might mean "lifetime"... like it did several years ago.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Well I took our van to Tuffy today to take advantage of their $14.99 oil/filter change and tire rotation offer, as well as giving them the opportunity to find lots of jobs that need to be done on the van at a huge cost of course! :rolleyes:

Turns out that the van needs new pads all round, the brake fluid changed and a new cabin air filter - this was priced at $544 plus taxes...;)

So I've just bought new pads all round from Rock Auto for $26.02 and a cabin air filter from eBay for $8.50 delivered.

I got these pads:
FRICTION MASTER Part # CMX1284 Genuine Ceramic
R Ceramic Pads PROFESSIONAL GRADE FROM 04/28/07; GLS
FRICTION MASTER Part # D1202 Premium Quality NAO Brake Pad
Front Premium Organic Pads GLS, LTD, SE; GLS
F Prem Organic Pads GLS, LTD, SE; GLS [Wholesaler Closeout - Private Label Pkg. - 30 Day Warranty]
I think I've got a bottle of fresh brake fluid from Walmart in the garage so I'll bleed the brakes myself, when I change the pads.

So that's probably under $40 in parts and a couple of hours of sweating vs. $544 plus taxes...^_^

·
Registered
497 Posts
Well I've done the front brakes - no problems at all really but the supplied rear pads are a different shape :(

Turns out that the pads change from 04/28/2007 onwards and have much smaller sliders....see here:

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sedona LX
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update. I am now at 51,500 miles and these pads prove why price is not always the best thing to look at when purchasing brakes. The rotors are fine, but the pads are noisy and they dust like crazy. Should have went with Akebono, lesson learned.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts