Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2000 Kia Sportage and I love it. The man that I bought the Kia from told me that he replaced the front brakes two weeks ago. I noticed a squeal noise when I brake - Not all the time but enough for concern. My machanic told me that it could be due to cheap brake pads (metalic) and the weather - I live in Florida. The owners manual describes a "high pitched warning sound" as an indicator of brake pads needing replacement. The owners manual also mentions that break squeal is also normal in some driving conditions and climates. I'm confused - how can you tell the difference between "high pitched warning sound" and normal brake squeal?

Please help?

·
Registered
349 Posts
OK, I'll try to clear the confusion.

A "squeal" when you depress the brakes, especially after a recent pad replacement, can have several causes. It could be the pads themselves as your mechanic stated. It could be misaligned parts due to improper installation.

If it's simply the pads themselves there is a cure. A product called "squeal stop" is available under several different brand names. It is a silicone based product that is smeared on the backside of the pads and it is effective at stopping brake squeal. Unfortunately you must disassemble the front brakes to install it but any competent mechanic can do it in less than an hour.

A squeal or squawk that is present when driving slow and goes AWAY when you depress the brake is an indication that the front pads are worn.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts