Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey People,

So my brake rotor (only one, one of the front ones) has a weird dark thick line around it.

So when i bought the car the brakes started squealing really bad after the first couple weeks.
Currently 140 000km.
Purchased with 130 000km and pads i know were replaced at 90 000km not sure about the rotors. They were original Kia pads. So at about 130 000 km i replaced them with bendix 4wd pads. One of the kia pads was really badly eaten on one side from memory.
Did not touch the rotors.

After putting on the new pads myself (also new brake fluid), the rotor in questions started getting a thick black like around the rotor middle. Take a look at the pic.
The pic is a fresh pic at 140 000km.

Any one know what this could be?
I do not know the age of the rotors!

Oh, and if you run your finger across the rotor, is pretty smooth especially where the dark bit is!

Attachments

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Probably some non-uniformity in the pad. Maybe not "cooked" properly during manufacture, or some sort of impurity. Not too much wear on the rotor and very unlikely problem is with the rotor. Try new pads, maybe machine disks as well, if there is enough meat left.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cuda,

You think its worth worrying about?
I mean it brakes fine, and i am not having any issues of any sort.

To be honest im more concerned if this is the rotor getting below scrap thickness or anything like that.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Seems to be just a surface problem, and it's very unlikely that there will be a defect in the disk that will produce a mark like that. How deep are the scored marks on the disk? There are specs. for disk thickness after machining.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dark ring is not any deeper than the rest of the risk. If you run your finger along it, its just a little smoother than the rest of the disk.

I think i will just leave it keep it in mind if the brakes start to feel different.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Don't the Bendix 4WD pads have a "titanium stripe" in them to clean up the disk surface for the pad. I use them myself, I didn't get what you saw on my Kia but I did notice it on my Nissan Pathfinder when I replaced the pads a few years ago with Bendix pads.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thinking back they did advertise something about titanium stripe.
Looking on their website now shows a blue titanium stripe. So you may have a point with that cmar. Didnt think about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts