Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Rio 2010
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mechanic basically told me I was on my own.... he could not locate a brake proportioning valve for my 2007 Sorento. Does anyone know where I can purchase one? I have combed all the usual auto parts sites and cannot find one anywhere.

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,698 Posts
Clarify something for me: are you trying to locate that part on your vehicle? Or, you have that part on your vehicle and cannot find a replacement? Does your vehicle have ABS system?

My understanding is that brake proportioning valve is only on non-ABS vehicles. Otherwise ABS applies 'electronic brake force distribution' (EBD) and proportioning valve is not needed. (It is all supplied by abs control module).

·
Registered
Rio 2010
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
abs control module
My apologies, I was told I needed a new brake proportioning valve but your reference to non ABS vehicles might explain why I cannot locate a new one.

A little background info - Front Calipers were shot so they were replaced as well as the Brake Hoses.
Now the new Calipers are seizing up and the mechanic indicated the need for a new brake proportioning valve. It does have ABS but one of the sensors (RF) is broken and has been for awhile (garage broke it when they replaced the Hub and Bearings and I never had it replaced).

Any idea what may be causing the problem?

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,698 Posts
Any idea what may be causing the problem?
Apart from the broken sensor (no idea what that would do), one thought is that if the mechanic gave you a bum steer on the valve, did you get corrrect calipers?

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
1,935 Posts
Just a thought....from somebody across the "pond"....
You folk drive on the "wrong" side of the roadways, did your "mechanic" use american parts and have "switched sides"?.....o_O:unsure::D

EDIT: and your controls are on the wrong side too!:)

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
1,935 Posts
Err .... The OP is from Indianapolis. Which pond are you talking about??????? :)
MY BAD! I must have mixed up your signature bar with the OP's! Was just trying to make a little jest in the situation, using very loosely some of the wording you used, meant in fun.
Can I blame it to the new format??????:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
ABS does not have a proportioning valve. Your mechanic probably blew the accumulator. Also if a sensor is busted/missing your abs will not work anyway. If the pedal seems hard or stiff that is because the abs is not in the picture. If the calipers are sticking it is because the pressure was not properly relieved before opening the hydraulic system. If a tech did a brake job and did not replace the broken wheel sensor that is a shoddy and should not have been done brake job.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
202 Posts
Find a new mechanic....even if it is your brother in law.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts