Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading about people having problems with the brakes. When I went out on my test drive yesterday. The dealer drove it for a short distance before I took over. I did notice a slight squeel as we pulled out of the garage. He didn't mention it and I was waiting for it to do it again. I didnt happen and I forfot to mention it.
Has anyone got a Picanto that doesn't have this problem. If not I must remember to make a point of listening to this when I pick mine up in a couple of weeks time.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
90% of the time it only happens after the initial handbrake release.
It's not right it should do it, but it does not affect anything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have had this brake noise problem from the 1st Sept, it has been back to the dealer three times. Each time it behaves for about two or three hours then starts again. I kept asking if it was warped discs but they did not seem to agree with me. On the last return to the dealer they admitted that htey had changed the rear O/S disk. It seemed to cure the proble for about one week, now its started again.

Apart from this noise it is a fantastic little car, but the noise needs sorting <_< <_<

·
Registered
Kia Picanto, Nissan Patrol, Renault Laguna
26 Posts
Hello from Spain !!! ... and sorry for my English

I have my Picanto from 1st July and for 5000 km at this moment. I have the same problem during the first months, but the noise has disapeared aprox the last 1000 km.

bye friends !!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the same problem. Initially Kia told me that skimming the discs was a solution. Now they tell me that often the problem returns even after skimming, so they have told me to wait as Kia are supposedly testing some modified calipers/pads which should hopefully cure the problem.

Apparently the problems stem from the way the caliper and disc does not absorb vibration when braking as it normally should, in fact it makes it worse and that's why we can hear it. This is what Kia told me - whether there is any truth in that I don't know.

Cheers
PicantoSE

·
Registered
129 Posts
They better have this fixed before I get my car :)

Unless its a security hazard or another serious matter I'm not even sure that we are entitled to get it fixed. But I would sure make a lot of commotion until they fixed mine if I had that problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's not a safety hazard, more of an inconvenience, I don't even think Kia will recall cars because of it, more likely they will fix the cars of those who complain.

Cheers
PicantoSE

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The last few batches of new Picanto's have had different rear calipers/pads.
Some still screech initially, the comeback rate seems low overall.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
It's a very common problem ,more notable on lower use cars, Kia have introduced a fix at the factory for it, and dealers have bulletins to modify earler cars with the later parts to cure it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts