Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento EX V6 2017
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i own a 2016 ex+ awd. I did my brake fluid flush, replaced 2 bad calipers in the front, bleed all the wheels and still when im a red light my pedal is hard at the start and then she goes sinking at the floor. I think the master cylinder is bad and need to be replaced. I only have 105 000km is this happened to someone allready ? Thx

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
741 Posts
Hi guys, i own a 2016 ex+ awd. I did my brake fluid flush, replaced 2 bad calipers in the front, bleed all the wheels and still when im a red light my pedal is hard at the start and then she goes sinking at the floor. I think the master cylinder is bad and need to be replaced. I only have 105 000km is this happened to someone allready ? Thx
Idk but I would take it to a professional before you hurt or kill someone 🤷‍♂️.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,675 Posts
With ABS there's special bleeding procedure using special equipment that cycles the ABS pump.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
759 Posts
Bleeding isn't like in the good old days, the solenoids in the ABS unit need to be activated in a very specific manner using a special service tool. Some enterprising electrical engineers have created home brew versions for some makes and will give you the plans to make it up if you're so inclined. I just begrudgingly pay the Toyota dealer $149 to bleed my 4Runner every three years

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,350 Posts
Yep, you may have shot yourself in the foot on this one....it happens!

·
Registered
Sorento EX V6 2017
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup i know that. Got to the dealer, and they bleed the system with the service tool and 117$ canadian lol after everythings is like new.... the moral of the story.... dont do that again lol

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
759 Posts
Yup i know that. Got to the dealer, and they bleed the system with the service tool and 117$ canadian lol after everythings is like new.... the moral of the story.... dont do that again lol
Hey, that's actually a pretty good price from a dealer. A lot of us that are familiar with turning our own wrenches are having to resort more and more to the dealer because of computers and sophisticated electronics. By time we go to all electric vehicles, shadetree mechanics will no longer exist :(

·
Registered
2020 Sorento 3.3 AWD
72 Posts
I'm curious about this outcome, having successfully bled many ABS vehicles (including H/K products) without any special tools. Obviously, no tool means leaving some old fluid behind in the actuators. But I've never experienced the brake pedal issue. Strange.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,675 Posts
I'm curious about this outcome, having successfully bled many ABS vehicles (including H/K products) without any special tools. Obviously, no tool means leaving some old fluid behind in the actuators. But I've never experienced the brake pedal issue. Strange.
If you do a brake fluid flush its not essential that you cycle the ABS pump, but if air has got into the system then you definitely need to cycle the ABS pump.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
759 Posts
If you do a Toyota ABS system from 2003-2010 without cycling the ABS unit, you'll get exactly these same symptoms. The ABS unit is actually incorporated into the master cylinder (which means a replacement unit is $1100!). My wife's old 2016 Honda Accord was the same way although in all honesty, I never tried to bleed the brakes on it because we only kept it three years but I was going by the Accord forums and their experiences trying to bleed it without activating the ABS. It might actually have something to do with the ABS not being activated very frequently in most cars (as in never so far in our Kia). If you don't live where it snows, aren't involved in heavy traffic, it's conceivable you might never activate the ABS and perhaps that creates issues when bleeding.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
414 Posts
My 2005 Toyota 4Runner was easy - no scan tool needed at all. But there was simple procedure to get the ABS pump to actually do the work of bleeding each wheel. Not the usual bleed order of furthest wheel. Made the chore fast work, half hour at the most.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts