Kia Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had an issue with the CV joint going that heated up the hub so much that the brakes faded really badly... eventually some bits of metal dropped out and I got the CV changed.. If you have binding brakes this will also boil the fluid and make the pedal go to the floor... The callipers do tend to bind after a number of years

·
Registered
13 Posts
Recently aquired a 2003 Sorento, and the brake pedal seems to be intermittently going enarly to the floor. Usually it will have good brake pressure with the pedal 1/3 depressed, but then occasionally it will just go way further and need to be pressed nearly to the floor to get good brake pressure.

If I press hard on the brake pedal while stationary the pedal goes slowly all the way to the floor.

From what I've read it sounds like it is most probably the master brake cylinder. Is there any way I can easily confirm this to be the case before buying a new part?
Nothing in this thread helped me with what sounded like the same issue as the OP. So, after wasting a lot of time and money I decided to go back to the rule of Occam's Razor: "The simplest solution is most likely the right one."
So, what we found is the brake pads on the front of the 2011 Sorento were not used at all. Apparently, the person who put the pads on did not realize that brake pads need to move a little or they will not work. We used a bench grinder to shave some of the bracket off on each end of the brake pads, scuffed the pads and put them back on. The brakes worked better, but still did not feel 100%. We looked at the rears and found the same situation, but a little more odd and almost unexplainable. On one side one pad was halfway used while the other wasn't used at all. I'm thankful at least one of the pads worked because my wife was driving this vehicle as if nothing were wrong. No, I didn't freak out on her at all (insert sarcasm here).
After spending money to replace the master cylinder twice, replace a rear caliper, a gallon of brake fluid bled through the system, abs bled at the dealer, doing the brake booster test a dozen times, and a lot of fear and intrepedation we went with the simplest thing today and won!!!
The brake pedal is no longer starting 1/2 way down before brakes engage and then slowly fading to the floor while praying to not rear end people! I spent over $700 trying all the stuff on this thread. Could have done the fix for the cost of one set of rear brake pads. From now on I will start with the simplest solution before using someone's razor to slice my wallet's wrists.
Hope this helps give someone another option along their Sorento's journey.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,877 Posts
Nothing in this thread helped me with what sounded like the same issue as the OP. So, after wasting a lot of time and money I decided to go back to the rule of Occam's Razor: "The simplest solution is most likely the right one."
So, what we found is the brake pads on the front of the 2011 Sorento were not used at all. Apparently, the person who put the pads on did not realize that brake pads need to move a little or they will not work. We used a bench grinder to shave some of the bracket off on each end of the brake pads, scuffed the pads and put them back on. The brakes worked better, but still did not feel 100%. We looked at the rears and found the same situation, but a little more odd and almost unexplainable. On one side one pad was halfway used while the other wasn't used at all. I'm thankful at least one of the pads worked because my wife was driving this vehicle as if nothing were wrong. No, I didn't freak out on her at all (insert sarcasm here).
After spending money to replace the master cylinder twice, replace a rear caliper, a gallon of brake fluid bled through the system, abs bled at the dealer, doing the brake booster test a dozen times, and a lot of fear and intrepedation we went with the simplest thing today and won!!!
The brake pedal is no longer starting 1/2 way down before brakes engage and then slowly fading to the floor while praying to not rear end people! I spent over $700 trying all the stuff on this thread. Could have done the fix for the cost of one set of rear brake pads. From now on I will start with the simplest solution before using someone's razor to slice my wallet's wrists.
Hope this helps give someone another option along their Sorento's journey.
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your User Account/Profile

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts