Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sportage SX, Copper&Beige AWD
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing the front brake pads on my wife's 2016 Soul. My question is for those of you who do your own brake work.
I found that the inner pads on both front wheels are worn almost to their metal backing plates but the outer pads (on both front wheels) are still about 1/4" thick.
I checked and found that the calipers on both front wheels are sliding freely, not binding at all.
Have any of you also found this uneven pad wear ?

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
631 Posts
It's not unheard of, I had same wear pattern on my VW back in the day, no issues with calipers.
Check and re-lube sliding pins too before assembling it all back togehter.

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,379 Posts
AND check that the pads themselves move freely, particularly the INNER that shows most wear. In my "rust belt area, I files off the rust scale of the pad/caliper mounting brackets and test the pads individually for smooth movement in the on/off axis of movement before assembling all together. Many cars now have stainless steel "anti rattle" pads that pop over the actual caliper mount frame...BUT they still corrode underneath and bind the pad movement due to the "lifting" of the buildup. I've seen some people grind the metal backing of the new pads to accomplish the same result, but I feel that creates more rusting by having exposed bare metal of the pads backing.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
837 Posts
Normal wear pattern. The inner is where the pistons apply direct force. The outer pads also apply but not as hard as the inner pads. The calipers deflect somewhat, creating hysteresis in the system.
It is a good thing you take such good care of your vehicles!

·
Registered
2017 Sportage SX, Copper&Beige AWD
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As some of you have said: it's not uncommon to have uneven pad wear, especially more wear on the inner pad where the pistons push from.
I put in the new front pads Thursday, from KIA, Pad Kit (K 58101 B2A00) for $80.80
For this old machinist & back yard mechanic it was an easy job, very straight forward.
I made sure the caliper pins were lubed and slid smoothly. Brakes feel great, nice to have fat pads again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts