Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 LX Manual, '15 ZX14R, Honda VFR800, Ducati 748, '87 Buick Grand National, '13 Subaru BRZ
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at 30K miles and my rear brake pads are starting to squeel as I drive, so time to replace them. I'd also like to replace the front pads now so I don't have to deal with it in the snow this winter... better to just do it now.

My car is just a commuter, but I do drive fast. Should I stick with OEM pads, cheap aftermarket Autozone pads, performance pads...? not sure what I need. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
Kia pads and very good. They will cost you $75.00 for a set, front, or rear. If you buy autozone pads make sure you buy the GOLD ones. Don't buy the cheapest pads. I would look at your brakes with the wheels off before buying anything, just might need a good cleaning.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
I just did the rear brakes on my 2011 Sportage at 38k miles. Next are the fronts, once I recover,,,lol. I used Auto Zone's Best Gold!

I've had experience with these on my old Tucson, and they stop, & last, better then the stock ceramics.

I tried NAPA's Best, first, expensive, and a spongy pedal, with slower stopping. :mad:

I think the AutoZones have brass stock in the ceramic mix to help them grip better.

Check out my post in the Sportage forum.

Good Luck, Mike D.

·
Registered
2013 Rio 5 EX, 1967 Chevy C10
241 Posts
*Shameless plug* If you're lucky and you have a NAPA near you, ask if they carry or will order you parts from their Altrom line. The store I work at stocks Altrom and it's NAPA's import line. The vast majority of the Altrom parts are OEM manufacturer and even use the same part numbers. The only problems I have found is there's not a lot listed just yet for the Rio, either because it's in it's second new model year or that Kia's not sharing information just yet.
We just got a buyers guide for Akebono, the rear pads have been out awhile, the front pads are new and coming out soon.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Rio
8 Posts
It seems to me that the rear pads wear twice as fast as the fronts, on these new Rios.
I work for a rental car company and out of the 12x Rio hatchbacks in the fleet, I have so far replaced only the rears. The kilometer are about the same and the fronts are 50% more life compared to the rears.
IMHO

·
Registered
2012 RIO SLS Signal Red
43 Posts
It seems to me that the rear pads wear twice as fast as the fronts, on these new Rios.
I work for a rental car company and out of the 12x Rio hatchbacks in the fleet, I have so far replaced only the rears. The kilometer are about the same and the fronts are 50% more life compared to the rears.
IMHO
:p I have done 58,000 kms and I am still on my original brake pads..you guys must be on your brakes all the time..

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 LX Manual, '15 ZX14R, Honda VFR800, Ducati 748, '87 Buick Grand National, '13 Subaru BRZ
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:p I have done 58,000 kms and I am still on my original brake pads..you guys must be on your brakes all the time..

Actually, I drive my rio very fast, so when I have to put the brakes on - I put them on HARD. I'm tough on my little car, but no problems yet. Synthetic oil, K&N filter, and foot to the floor...

·
Registered
2013 Rio
2 Posts
Parking Brake Ajustment

I have read about rear brake pad wear. I wonder if the cause is that the parking brake is adjusted too tight. I checked mine and the handle goes to only 3 clicks not the 6-8 as speced. But I can't figure out how to get to the adjustment. Does the center counsel cover need to be removed?
Any help appreciated.
My car is a 2013 Rio EX 4 door, AT.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Rio
8 Posts
As Spec'ed

I have read about rear brake pad wear. I wonder if the cause is that the parking brake is adjusted too tight. I checked mine and the handle goes to only 3 clicks not the 6-8 as speced.

Could you please tell me where you obtained this spec;
been looking for specs for a while now (two days and not much effort on my part), could ya help me?

·
Registered
2013 Rio
2 Posts
Parking Brake Ajustment

It is in the owners manual under maintenance page 7-32 in my book. I did a test and found that with 3 clicks the parking brake will not hold the car on a slight incline. If I pull hard I get 4 clicks and that holds the car.So, is 6-8 clicks the proper adjustment? I'll check with the dealer in a few days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts