Kia Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento LX 3.3 Lt
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I got my 2018 in January with nearly 20K. Close to 42K now. Went to Pep Boys because front started grinding, They told me I need calipers, rotors, pads and rear shocks. I was, WTF? I looked and felt the rotors and they're smooth. I can understand pads around this time but all that? Gonna get a trusted mech to confirm this. If this is true, I'm guessing the previous owner or lease holder drove the heck out of it. When I had my FWD 2012, I replaced the pads at nearly 50K.
I guessing you did not know How many KM was on the pads when you purchased it ? My 2019 was New when it purchase it so I know the true KM & 50 Km sound reasonable

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
868 Posts
To OP - did you buy the car brand new or used? If used or demo then there may be a reason pads are that worn that fast.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
890 Posts
I got my 2018 in January with nearly 20K. Close to 42K now. Went to Pep Boys because front started grinding, They told me I need calipers, rotors, pads and rear shocks. I was, WTF? I looked and felt the rotors and they're smooth. I can understand pads around this time but all that? Gonna get a trusted mech to confirm this. If this is true, I'm guessing the previous owner or lease holder drove the heck out of it. When I had my FWD 2012, I replaced the pads at nearly 50K.
Why calipers? If they aren't leaking or frozen up, they generally can just be serviced and reused. Pep Boys is not beyond upselling unnecessary services. Find a good local shop with a sterling reputation, get to know the mechanics (doughnuts when you come in for an oil change, pizza for the whole shop at Christmas time all go a long ways towards establishing a good relationship).

·
Registered
2018 Sorento EX 3.3L V6 AWD
149 Posts
Why calipers? If they aren't leaking or frozen up, they generally can just be serviced and reused. Pep Boys is not beyond upselling unnecessary services. Find a good local shop with a sterling reputation, get to know the mechanics (doughnuts when you come in for an oil change, pizza for the whole shop at Christmas time all go a long ways towards establishing a good relationship).
I am. If I can stop on worn pads, that means the calipers are working. I'm guessing pep boys tried to take me for a ride. The problem is I was in Brooklyn for Thanksgiving. They saw I was far from home and probably tried to take advantage of that. This was the night before Thanksgiving. They made a big mistake though. They took awhile to come to that BS. It was 6 PM by then. I arrived 3:30. I said, "just put pads on front". Guy says, "No, you need calipers!"

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX
116 Posts
I am. If I can stop on worn pads, that means the calipers are working. I'm guessing pep boys tried to take me for a ride. The problem is I was in Brooklyn for Thanksgiving. They saw I was far from home and probably tried to take advantage of that. This was the night before Thanksgiving. They made a big mistake though. They took awhile to come to that BS. It was 6 PM by then. I arrived 3:30. I said, "just put pads on front". Guy says, "No, you need calipers!"
I actually worked for Pep Boys for a bit a few years ago. Their theory is either replace everything or when you return with worn out pads, they will blame whatever you didn't replace as the cause.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento EX 3.3L V6 AWD
149 Posts
It's an issue with the caliper pin on the right front wheel. They just told me caliper can be used, no replacement needed. It was causing uneven pad wear and almost went "all the way in." Recommends front rotors and pads. Getting it done. I'd do it myself but no driveway since I'm living in Brooklyn. Mavis is where I'm getting the front done.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento LX (FWD), 2010 Kia Sportage LX FWD,
45 Posts
I was bad and let it go to about 112,000 on my 2015 before I got new brakes. The dealer informed me they were bad when I got my free engine replacement (See Theta II recall). I went to my usual mechanic and after they replaced them, joked that the old pads were "this thin" and held up a sheet of paper.

·
Registered
2020, Kia Niro 4, 1.6 Self Charging Hybrid
11 Posts
Can anyone tell what kind of Millage did you get on your 2019 Sorento first set of brake pads??
Utterly impossible to say.

If you are my brother, shortest distance to 30mph, and shortest distance to 0mph, then brake parts last a fortnight, me, on the other hand, six plus years, look ahead, let the car slow itself down by itself brake just when necessary.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
890 Posts
It's an issue with the caliper pin on the right front wheel. They just told me caliper can be used, no replacement needed. It was causing uneven pad wear and almost went "all the way in." Recommends front rotors and pads. Getting it done. I'd do it myself but no driveway since I'm living in Brooklyn. Mavis is where I'm getting the front done.
In your neck of the woods, the caliper pins should probably be lubricated on an annual basis. It's not a difficult job, special grease just for this purpose and also lets the mechanic doing it examine the rest of the braking system. Here in Tucson we never worry about them because we have no corrosion or even much wet weather - mine are still shiny and smooth after three years although I took them out and greased them anyway.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts