Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento LX 3.3 Lt
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell what kind of Millage did you get on your 2019 Sorento first set of brake pads??

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
886 Posts
I think you'll find this is a terribly hard question to get consensus on. We live in the flat desert without much traffic and seldom doing stoplight to stoplight dashes and so I've easily gotten 80K miles out of brake pads (on other vehicles, the Sorento has <30K still). When we lived back East and I drove in stop and go traffic everyday, rolled through the blueridge mountains on many a weekend and did a fair amount of autocross - I was lucky to get 20K miles on a set of pads. My wife is one of those last minute braking people and is hard on pads. I've inspected her Sorento pads with about 29K on the car and they look hardly used so suspect that even with her style of driving, they will still easily go over 60K.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,273 Posts
I agree that it will change a lot with many factors including pad brand/type used. In the rust belt as where I am brake service needs to be done to keep the caliper floating (cleaning and greasing guide pins). If the hang or stick too much they'll start to drag too much and even wear out one pad and not the other.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree that it will change a lot with many factors including pad brand/type used. In the rust belt as where I am brake service needs to be done to keep the caliper floating (cleaning and greasing guide pins). If the hang or stick too much they'll start to drag too much and even wear out one pad and not the other.
Can anyone tell what kind of Millage did you get on your 2019 Sorento first set of brake pads??
Will I'm just a regular with only 29,000 Km on vehicle or 18,000 Mil & they are shot & lot of those mils were highway pads are Ceramic from the factory

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
1,061 Posts
WOW, I live in the suburbs, and typically with factory brake pads we get around 40-45K miles, sometimes more. I'd be pretty upset if they were gone at 18K!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WOW, I live in the suburbs, and typically with factory brake pads we get around 40-45K miles, sometimes more. I'd be pretty upset if they were gone at 18K!
"Yes" I always gotten 40 to 50 miles out of factory installed pads that why I put the question out there. My Sorento is a 2019 so I can't be the only one with this issue again I'm not a driver who is always on the brake pedal.......

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
886 Posts
I'd be surprised if the pads were ceramic from the factory as ceramic pads are fantastic on the track where you can heat them up, not so much in everyday driving as they never get hot enough to be as effective as they are capable of. I would think a regular semi-metallic would be the stock pad but maybe they've been able to add some compounds to the ceramic pads that make them more efficient when cold. Even if these were the old fashioned organic pads, they shouldn't wear out at 29Kkm. Does anyone in your house drive two footed? A friend who owns a shop here in Tucson said that two footed drivers tend to ride the brake with their left foot instead of placing it on the floor and although they think there is no pressure being applied, there is and brake life plummets (but so does mpg as well). Us old farts who only used the left foot for a third pedal never even think of this but apparently it's the way a lot of people learn to drive today on automatic transmission cars.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento LX 2.4 FWD; 2009 Borrego LX V6 RWD
271 Posts
I'm at 54k miles right now, and according to the dealer inspection report last month, I still have 60% remaining.

I usually anticipate stops ahead and coast a lot when coming to a stop.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd be surprised if the pads were ceramic from the factory as ceramic pads are fantastic on the track where you can heat them up, not so much in everyday driving as they never get hot enough to be as effective as they are capable of. I would think a regular semi-metallic would be the stock pad but maybe they've been able to add some compounds to the ceramic pads that make them more efficient when cold. Even if these were the old fashioned organic pads, they shouldn't wear out at 29Kkm. Does anyone in your house drive two footed? A friend who owns a shop here in Tucson said that two footed drivers tend to ride the brake with their left foot instead of placing it on the floor and although they think there is no pressure being applied, there is and brake life plummets (but so does mpg as well). Us old farts who only used the left foot for a third pedal never even think of this but apparently it's the way a lot of people learn to drive today on automatic transmission cars.
I'm the only driver..& I presume they are ceramic pads, & the reason why I said they are ceramic is because its says in the owners manual that the replacement are listed as ceramic..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To OP - did you see the pads yourself or dealer/shop told you they were shot?
Yes I looked at the Pads because I've heard the censor squeaking I did make a mistake in the mileage it's 28,000 KM still not a lot of millage

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
767 Posts
93,000 and both front and rears look like 100,000 will be about it.

if you pads are toast at 18,000 miles, you are doing some really hard city driving, live in mountains, or your driving is terrible!

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,273 Posts
That is inconceivable to last that long. I don't know how you stop but wear is enevitable. Lucky if factual

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
93,000 and both front and rears look like 100,000 will be about it.

if you pads are toast at 18,000 miles, you are doing some really hard city driving, live in mountains, or your driving is terrible!
No I do not live in a city.. yes some some mountains & i do very little braking go down hill.. No I'm not a fast driver

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,994 Posts
No I do not live in a city.. yes some some mountains & i do very little braking go down hill.. No I'm not a fast driver
In that case, I'd begin to suspect you've had stuck calipers at some point... or ... you ARE only talking about the front pads being shot, right? Surely not the rears as well?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In that case, I'd begin to suspect you've had stuck calipers at some point... or ... you ARE only talking about the front pads being shot, right? Surely not the rears as well?
No stuck calipers, complete pads need replacing ..I first thought that it was the front only, removed the tires to see if it was stuck calipers that was not the case & it,s the inboard pads is the worst which is always the case..........

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,994 Posts
If your rears ALSO wore out that fast, you've either got a really naughty left foot or you have a different and significant problem somewhere in your power brake system. Whichever it turns out to be, you'll want to get it fixed before spending money on new pads and rotors.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If your rears ALSO wore out that fast, you've either got a really naughty left foot or you have a different and significant problem somewhere in your power brake system. Whichever it turns out to be, you'll want to get it fixed before spending money on new pads and rotors.
I'm not a left foot driver.. this is why I put the question out there, I'm not the only one having this issue it's either inferior pads or there is something else happening ..Thanks for you time

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,994 Posts
I'm not a left foot driver.. this is why I put the question out there, I'm not the only one having this issue it's either inferior pads or there is something else happening ..Thanks for you time
Hadn't heard it elsewhere. To wear all 4 corners that quickly, something is creating the hydraulic pressure sufficient to engage your brakes slightly while you're driving. Would be looking in area of booster/master cylinder.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento EX 3.3L V6 AWD
149 Posts
I got my 2018 in January with nearly 20K. Close to 42K now. Went to Pep Boys because front started grinding, They told me I need calipers, rotors, pads and rear shocks. I was, WTF? I looked and felt the rotors and they're smooth. I can understand pads around this time but all that? Gonna get a trusted mech to confirm this. If this is true, I'm guessing the previous owner or lease holder drove the heck out of it. When I had my FWD 2012, I replaced the pads at nearly 50K.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts