Kia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Sportage A/T 4X4
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a repair kit for my master cylinder, after cleaning and replacing all rubber cup and o-rings, bench bleeded it prior to installing. I noticed that the first outlet bleeded first and has the most pressure than the second outlet. Is that normal or the pressure should be the same with both outlets? Installed it in the sporty and bleeded it again. The braking is fine but I'm a bit puzzled if the front and rear brakes are engaging evenly. I know that there is a proportioning valve but not in the master cylinder isn't it?

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,688 Posts
That is normal, the rear brake system requires more fluid to actuate than the front...
Front pads adjust for wear and do not retract, rear retract fully under spring pressure...... Philip

·
Registered
2000 Sportage A/T 4X4
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Philip. Been using it for a while but I was not satisfied with the braking, so I opened the brake drums yesterday, cleaned all the dust off and adjusted it. I feel more safe now with my brakes engaging quickly and it doesn't travel all the way to the floor.

·
Registered
118 Posts
having the same problem with my brakes. replaced the master and it helped but still doesnt stop well. the rear axle is leaking gear oil onto the brake shoes so i have to fix that and replace them and hope they work after that.

·
Registered
2000 Sportage A/T 4X4
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
having the same problem with my brakes. replaced the master and it helped but still doesnt stop well. the rear axle is leaking gear oil onto the brake shoes so i have to fix that and replace them and hope they work after that.
better replace the oil seals for the axles, the gear oil will make the shoes slip. clean the drum and shoes with brake cleaner after replacing the seals or replace if it's already worn then adjust the shoes.

·
Registered
118 Posts
going to replace the drums shoes seals all at once. I messed with the front brakes the other day and found the bolt that holds the caliper on one of them was rusted in the bracket so it wouldnt let the caliper slide like it should. I broke that bolt right off after the threads so l just welded a bolt to it and drilled out the part in the bracket and put it all back together now i have good brakes the front will actually lock up in the driveway before they wouldnt even come close to doing that. so now i will replace the parts in the back and adjust them and i should be fine. going to replace the rotors and pads in the front soon also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.