Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, So my son's 02 rio blew a brake line on the pass side rear. The line runs back and then goes up and above the gas tank and over to the rail that runs under the body on the drivers side along with the fuel lines back to the engine compartment. My question is can I run the line without removing and dropping the tank I have neither the time or help to do so. My concern is can rout it under the front of the tank and make a bend up and over the exhaust pipe about 6 inches above and around the pipe back to the rail. I am just concerend about the heat from the exhaust pipe. What do you guy's think safety wise. Any suggestions. Reguard's Ronjohn

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul+, Kia Sportage SX FWD
472 Posts
Hey Ronjohn, I say do it. 6 inches should be plenty of room and the exhaust back that far isn't quite as hot as up front anyway. Reminds me of when I was adding those plastic inflatable bags inside the rear coils on a Durango a few years back. The exhaust routes less that 2 inches from my coil spring and my "plastic airbag" was right up against the coil. I even added a little sheet metal heat shield to be safe but all these years later it seems I was worried about nothing. The shield doesn't even get that hot.
Your brake line is farther away and should pose no issues to a steel brake line or the brake fluid inside it. Just make sure the exhaust or suspension doesn't MOVE and smack into it under a load or big bump or somethin... And I don't have my Rio anymore to go look and see what your options are. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank's kevster that's what i'll do. Reguard's ronjohn

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio
6 Posts
Hi Ronjohn,

I had to replace the same brake lines for the last yearly inspection and did both sides without removing the fuel tank.

I did find that feeding a long length of Kunifer brake line in and over the tank area BEFORE flaring any of the ends was helpful to be able to bend the pipe into the right shape.

My flaring tool struggled a little with the original steel line when making a double flare to put a joiner piece in further down the run towards the front of the car but all worked out.

The only caution I can give is watch out for the retaining clips that clip into the body, as the ones on my car were very brittle and a couple broke leaving me to use tie wraps as hold offs to keep the pipe clear of body.

Hope that helps

Regards
Dave

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank's dave, Yea i struggled with an 8 foot piece of pipe trying to get it above the tank with the flare and nut on so i said the heck with it and ran it under the tank just got done last night no problems so far just trying to keep it away from the body is the hard part so it does not rub thru somewhere. Maybe when my son is off to college i will have time to do it the original way. Vehicals are terrible things as my boss say's. Just like FORD. (Fix Or Repair Daily). Thanks for the reply dave. Reguard's Ronjohn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts