Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 98 Kia Sephia. around 160k miles. Ive had a run in with some lighting issues.. and i thought i had fixed them.

A year or so ago, the lights tail lights wouldnt work at all.. soo i redid the plugs in the rear.. and all has been well since.

Well the other day one of my freinds called me and told me, my rear parking lights work.. but no brake lights at all.

I have check all fuses and bulbs... what can it be??? any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Possibly the brake switch. I can find out which wires to jump at the switch if you're interested. This would bypass the switch so you can see if the lights will turn on, as a test of course.

Also, double check the bulbs or even swap one of them out with one you know works. Someone about a month ago had a similar problem, and as it turned out, both bulbs had one filiment out. This made the parking lights work, but no brake lights. Their third brake light worked though, so you can check that too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had back up bulbs i had never opened.. and they seemed to have no effect.

I will give the brake switch a try. One of my freinds ran out there yesterday and he said he had power out the switch.. but it didnt make it to the taillights. He seems to think its something shorting out. But i will check the switch myself. I have replaced one a while ago in my old acura, im assuming it will be the same set-up if not close.

Thanks for your input...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An update...

2 months later i decided to give up and take it to the shop... well he traced out brake light wiring.. and ended up having some sort of short in the Dash...

The solution: ended up running a jumper wire bypassing all brake wiring in the dash and going from the brake switch into the harness for rear brake lights.

I now have brake lights.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts